Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jernst55

Sharing Files on XP Home Edition System

I am somewhat confused.

It appears that Microsoft has crippled Home Edition so that the only way to share files with "Limited Acess" users is to place the file in the "Shared Documents" folder. Please tell me that I missed something obvious. How do you install programs that require write access to a file or folder in the Program Files folder?

I have tried logging in as Supervisor, I have tried it in SAFE MODE, am I missing something or is this a hose job?

While I am on the topic, what genuis at MS determined that home users do not need to backup their hard drives? The true insult is that every patch I have downloaded warns me to back up my hard drive before installing the patch.

From an explorer window, go to Tools -> Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and near the bottom you'll see "Use simple file sharing". Uncheck that.

I have only used XP Pro, so I don't know for sure that the option will be there in XP Home. If not, you're probably out of luck...

That option is not available in XPHome.You can share other folders,(I will have to go on memory as I switched to PRO) Right Click on the folder you want to share select sharing accept the warning and check the box to share the folder. Then add a new user that corresponds to the user on the other machine that is going to have access.If XP's firewall is enabled you have to disable it to allow access.

CUViper,

those options are not available in Home Edition

futuretech,

I am not trying to share files over a network, I am trying to share file between the various users who log onto this stand alone PC.

I have never tried that particular function.When a user logs on and opens a file it is saved into their profiles my documents.I havent tried before as I said but you could try having them save any files they create in another shared folder on the hard drive that is not in their profile.Another thought would be to save in the all users folder.