C:\Documents and Settings\GiB\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD

Burning\Backup CD 2\Palm\gizbug\DocsToGo\Backups\- Getting Started

Tips -1.BK1

I am trying to delete this file, but i am unable to. Says the file is

corrupt/unreadable. I tried in dos, using NTFS Pro bootdisk, said access

denied. I can not rename the file, I cant move it, I just want to delete

it. No clue why it wont let me. Any suggestions? I've tried in safe mode,

command prompt, no avail.

Sometimes using the form: DEL \\.\ drive letter :\ path \ file name in the console will do it.

Where are you seeing that file shown, in Explorer or a search window? Reason I ask is that last week I had an annoying prob where I was doing a search on a CD to find a file, but the only results it showed were in a path similar to yours [upto the \CD Burning\ point]. This really wound me up as I knew the file was not on my HDD, but on the Cd instead. When I right clicked the file to clook @ it's Properties it showed the correct path. This prob disappeared after a reboot.

By any chance did you have a CD in your CDRW @ the same time that had those files/folders on it? I tried it in my CD ROM drive & it worked the way it was supposed to, but in my CDRW it did that weird thing - until I rebooted it.

I see this file in the command prompt, windows explorer. The reason it bothers me, everytime I start my computer, i get a word bubble saying there are files waiting to be written to cd, and this is the only file. I want to get rid of it and the message.

It's been a while since I fiddled around with XP's CD writing wotsit, so I can't give you exact instructions off the top of my head. If you can bring up the window that normally shows you the files waiting to be written to a CD, then IIRC there should be an option in there to delete them all. Try clicking on that bubble that opens up & it might take you to the window you need.

I am pretty sure I tried to delete them before that way, and it didn't work. Still got a file corrupt/unreadable.

This must be a bug or something in windows xp. I should be able to delete any file on my system.

<yawn>

It may be that this file is "protected" by the Event Log service. Disable it, then restart XP. See if you can then delete the file.

Got a 98 boot disk? If so try booting with that & deleting it.

I think he is using NTFS so a 98 boot disk won't work. Try running a full scandisk on the drive.

Event log solution did not work.

Where do I deny system when right clicking on the file?

What will that do?

There is no certainty that this will work. Sysinternals has a utility called ntfsdos. It is a free download.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml

You will have to get to a Win98 machine and create a bootable dos disk. Put the nftsdos file on the disk. Boot your machine from the disk in your A drive. Run nftsdos. It is supposed to be able to read your hard drive. You would maneuver as in Dos to the file you want to delete. If you're lucky, and the your drive indexing is not messed up, you may be able to delete the file. Otherwise, you may have to reinstall XP over itself to get to the file since CHKDSK has not fixed the problem.

When you look at the permissions on the file, you can deny the system itself from using it. I did this with an old .dll file that older verisons of MS products replace if installed on Windows 2000 or XP.

Then you can reboot and remove it it, cause when the system tries to use the file, it cannot.

Not sure if WinXP as ATTRIB but you could find out.

If it does, use attrib at see the properties of the file.

I would disable windows xp file pertection then boot from a 98 bootdisk with ntfsdos on it. Delete the dang thing, and go back into

windows and turn on file pertection again.

Here's what you need to do, step by step.

You must disable Simple File Sharing first to be able to set security permissions. Here's how to do that.

[*]Open any Explorer window in My Computer.

[*]At the top, click Tools-->Folder Options.

[*]Click the View tab.

[*]In the Advanced Settings box, scroll to the bottom and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing"

[*]Click OK.

[/list=1]

Now you can change the permissions on the file to allow you to delete it. You must be logged on as an Administrator.

[*]Browse to the file in question.

[*]Right-click the file and select Properties.

[*]Click the Security tab.

[*]Click the Advanced button.

[*]Uncheck "Inherit from Parent the Permission Entries..."

[*]Click Copy in the window that pops up, then click OK.

[*]Now back on the Security tab, look in the Group or User Names box at the top. Select System and click remove.

[*]Select your Administrators group or the Everyone group and make sure Full Control is checked in the Permissions box.

[*]Click OK.

[*]Now try to delete the file.

[*]If you can't delete it, the system is probably accessing it. You need to reboot. You took away permission for the system to access the file, so after the reboot you should be able to delete it.

[/list=1]

I hope all this was helpful!

Format for just one file? Unless it's huge and using too much disk space, I'd just ignore it, and format later when you have other reasons.

Did you run chkdsk on the drive yet? If not, do it by opening a command prompt and typing chkdsk c: /f then answer yes to run it at reboot, then reboot, let chkdsk do its thing, then try deleting the file.

If that doesn't work, do a search on google for undeleteable files and see if you can find anything helpful.

Give this a try: Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs._ Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE__ Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.__Leave Task Manager_open._Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the undeletable file is located in._ At the command prompt type DEL <filename>_ where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.__ Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell._ Close Task Manager.