Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marktait

Anyone own a Sony DVAS300 DVD Player?

just after some good info and reviews/opinions on this as i have just ordered one which should arrive in 2-3days. Cant wait, looks fantastic.

5372135A54IFN48538M.JPG

Well personaly id rather spend £200 on this baby than £200 on a crappy PS2 that is more expensive than an xbox.

Is the Surround Sound Decoder seperate from the DVD player in that thing (allowing you to hook up another DVD player somewhere down the track)? If not, I wouldn't spend any money on such a POS...

So u have read all the details on the built-in stuff this DVD Player has, have you? Obviously not, coz i dont see the crappy ps2 with a builtin FM/AM tuner, dts and Digital Cinema Sound with Cinema Studio EX. It also doesnt have 180watt speakers with it and as far as i know u can take the speakers off but that was what info i am asking for, not for some dumb *** to tell me he uses his POS PS2 for DVD's.

;( I do know a little about A/V receivers, enough to know I'd prefer one without a built in DVD player if the provision to upgrade the DVD component somewhere down the track doesn't exist.

We are also forgetting that this is £200 which is what a good A/V Reciever with dts would be. Which means i get dvd/speakers aswell. I would never of payed £550

I'd still rather pay the AUD$1500 and have the DVD player and the receiver seperate than pay AUD$540 and get them combined but then, that's just me...

I got the DAVS500 and I'm very happy with it.

As for the issue of seperate or combined, just like integrated motherboards, depends on what you want.

I have enough devices and cables between my home entertainment and computer systems.

It's all good.

Got it this morning, got the bass turned down -6db(the lowest) and i still cant turn it up without the floor vibrating.

I had it, for a while, It is good all around machine and verry nicely priced. However sound does distort after a certain amount of Volume (about %50). So i bought the Pioneer one afterwards, it is very similar but a lot better and about twice the price. Now I don't have either and use seperate decks.

Quote:
Uykucu I had it, for a while, It is good all around machine and verry nicely priced. However sound does distort after a certain amount of Volume (about %50). So i bought the Pioneer one afterwards, it is very similar but a lot better and about twice the price. Now I don't have either and use seperate decks.

Geez, you must have got a bad one!!!
I have had mine turned up to full volume (this one goes to 40, much better than 10 :D) and although I could hardly stand to be in the room, there was no distortion from any speakers at all in any sound mode.

I'm really happy with my S500.

Quote:

As for the issue of seperate or combined, just like integrated motherboards, depends on what you want.

I won't have a fully integrated motherboard either, partly for the same reason.

Do you know if the Side cover on the Subwoofer comes off, because the covers on the sattelite Speakers come off im presuming it does.

Just removed it, cheers

Well i gotta say, I like it. It has all the stuff i want, it was less than half the retail price because of argos being nice laugh. The sub on it also seems to be able to take a hell of a lot compared to some peoples subs i have seen on their systems.

Well all i need now is the matrix on DVD wink

There is one problem with it that i have and that is that it doesnt play CD-R's which isnt nice especially if i had payed £490 instead of £200:(

Quote:
I won't have a fully integrated motherboard either, partly for the same reason.

The only reason i will not have an integrated motherboard is because everything on them is sh|t, the vga takes ur memory, the sound (dont ask wat thats like) and the modems on them hog ur cpu.

This has good stuff built in, its just a dvd/amp/reciever in1 and none of its bad stuff.

Quote:

There is one problem with it that i have and that is that it doesnt play CD-R's which isnt nice especially if i had payed £490 instead of £200:(

Hmm, my S500 plays CD-Rs.
I reckon you should check that out.
BTW - I think I'm going to buy an AOpen AW744 Pro so I can have the optical connection from my PC to the system.

Marktait - I realise this is gonna sound like a stupid suggestion, but it's not quite as stupid as it sounds - have you tried CD-RW discs in there? or just CD-R? I know someone who has a DVD player [i forget make/model] that won't play CD-R, but will play CD-RW. I know it's weird, but it's worth a try [if you haven't already].

I was just gonna do a post saying that i can use CDR-W's, watching Shrek at this second. Very wierd that it can use CDRW but not CDR.

That really is weird. If it plays CD-RWs then it *should* play CD-Rs. The big problem with CD-RWs is the amount of light they reflect is just below whats defined in the Red Book spec so many Audio-only players choke on them. CD-Rs can have that effect too but it's far more common with CD-RWs.

If he can't play any kind of recordable media then I'd say at a rough gues that either: he hasn't got a dual-pickup system in his DVD player (maybe they've stopped fitting that model with one or something... *shrugs) or that the one of the pickups is buggered in some way. If he can play regular aluminium pressed audio CDs than the latter is probably unlikely.

I have one DAVS300 is a good one i have buyed the "all zone" modification from the www.dvdupgrades.ch guys it works fine it also is capable of playing CDR discs when it wants (sometimes yes and sometimes not (the not times are the most)) it also doesn´t plays MP3 but for viewing DVD movies or just FM Radio i´m more than happy. I have connected it to my TV A/V out and all the TV audio comes trough the DAVS300 speakers and sounds GREAT! I have buyed it more than a year ago and i´m still very happy, the only bad thing is that i payed US$ 980 for it. frown

Just had a mate tell me that it wouldnt be loud anoth to watch a film because its only 30watts per channel laugh

LOL, Maybe he should here it turned on!

was just gonna order a second DAVS300 and they have sold out frown ,so i will leave it a month or two and get the DAVS500 for my room laugh