Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ASiDiE

Faulting application.... need Help bad!

All the sudden.... most of my programs... (IE, Gamespy Arcade, Sof2) seem to crash for NO reason. I get errors like this at random times.

Faulting application sof2mp.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module sof2mp.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000b0345.

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2600.0, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2716.2200, fault address 0x00053b1e.

That last one I wasn't even using IE.. it was open but I was opening winamp. Very strange. I haven't loaded anything new... haven't done nothing. Almost seems like a memory error or soemthing. If anyone else has seen this error.. or know anything about it.. please let me know.

ASiDiE

MSHTML.dll is an IE library file. It was what was replaced in the browser some time back because of a Y2k problem. Its replacement suffered from a buffer overrun and is susceptible to virus attachments. You might want to run an anti-virus scan or ad-aware to see if you have components on your machine that are not supposed to be there.

As I was browsing ActiveWin I came across this: "Microsoft has quietly issued a notice about problems with the registry that can cause users of XP, both Home and Professional edition to see the dreaded blue screen of death on their PCs. The company says that when "registry hives" get damaged, people may see the message "Unexpected Shutdown" or the far more friendly and informative message "Stop: 0cx0000135", resulting in PCs possibly being a little hard to boot. The explanation, says MS, is that programs which use the registry don't "cleanly" remove temporary items stored in the registry but the problem also can happen if a program is "terminated" (ended) or "experiences a user-mode fault", whatever that is.

Microsoft has a hotfix that repairs the registry but it is obvious that it's not a complete fix. The firm recommends that people wait for the next service pack containing the fix if they're not "severely affected". So the fix may not be a fix, and Microsoft is even prepared to suspend charging you for a support call if it's convinced it's not your fault. And when's the service pack out? Well, you'd better ask Microsoft that question... "

hey thanks for the reply....Actally the errors that came up seemed like memory errors to me.... so I did the whole memory thing... taking out chips see if they are bad... that kind of thing. Well anyway.. I think I solved the problem. I have UPS's on both my comptuers but it seems we had like a 1 hour power outage. Well when i got home both of my computers were off. This one.. for some reason didn't want to turn back on. So I had to reset the CMOS. Well I guess I forgot to change the case memory setings to 2. (Default is 2.5) And I think that setting being just a bit off.. caused the problems. I have been using thoes same programs for the last day or so and have had no errors.... SO I guess from 2.0 to 2.5 makes a big deal.

ASiDiE