Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
calabris

Slow Network connection

I have a P4 1.7 system with 256K RAMDAC. I have a 100mb network card but for some reason the network connection is VERY slow. The 100 light is lit on the card and on the network switch but it is transferring slower than 10mb. I did notice that the network card is sharing IRQ11 along with the Radeon 7000 AGP video card. Could this be causing the slow performance??

confused

All kinds of devices share all kinds of IRQ's. This is what they are for and they mean Interrupt Request.

What OS are you networking with would be my question. also what protocols are you using, and how are they configured?

Another word of reminder is just because you see a 100 MB light does not mean you NIC is Full duplex spanking 100 MB.

Have you checked the NIC properties is it set to auto speed or 10 MB??? And are you trying to move loads of small files, which would result in bad performance anyway or a one chunky one for testing?

Buddy I think you should configure your network card to 10mb beacuse some internet modems only support half-duplex configuration

I had the same problem

The only finger I could point it was at windows millenium

I would have a 100mb connection and the the lights 100mb lit on both cards for both my 700mhz XP machine and 700mhz ME machine

I would start up millenium and begin a big file transfer adn itw ould begin fast and tell me about 6 minutes left and if I left it for 5 minutes, it would tell me something like 4 hours remaining.

I upgraded to win2k and never had a problem.

NOw i"m back to Millenium, and when I try to transfer multiple files, say like 30 mp3's, it'll try to transfer them ALL at once!

Stupid Mistake Edition of windows. That's the only complaint I have for ME. Well 2.

The removal of DOS mode and crappy network stuff. 98SE was much better