Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wozzeck

Installing VMware 3.2 on Mandrake 9

Hi everyone,

This is my third day on Linux, attempting to install VMware on Mandrake 9.

I've run into this problem (I think this is the problem.):

when running vmware-config.pl, it asks for the source code for the currently running kernel, so it can recompile the vm module to run with the kernel. The problem seems to be that the Mandrake kernel is labeled 2.4.19-16mdk, and all the source code I find is only 2.4.19, which vmware rejects as different. I can't find the source code for 2.4.19-16mdk anywhere (kernel.org does not have listing for this version) ....there is an rpm available that seems like it should work:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.19-16mdk.i586.html

but after installing this RPM, it seems to just be modules, and not not C header files, like vmware seems to want.

This is driving me crazy--I'd really appreciate someone's help. Sorry if I said anything really stupid here, or I'm overlooking the obvious.

best regards,

wozzeck

I;m having a problem with VMare too...

I found the only directory that has all the files it wants (/usr/include)

But when I try to install it I get this error

cpp0: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"

cpp0: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.18) does not match your running

kernel (version 2.4.19-16mdk). Even if the module were to compile successfully,it would not load into the running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

This is being installed on a fresh install of Mandrake 9

Any ideas ;(

Make sure you install all the source packages from the mandrake source cd. Should have some check box's for that in your gui package manager. If you downloaded updates or installed updates to your kernel you may need to download the appropriate src rpm's directly from mandrake. You might have to hit the ftp directly for that kind of thing. It should be to tough to get those and get them installed.