Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

Finding your XP Cd-key

I lost my CD key and was wondering where in the registry i can find it. I see the product ID but not the key. I know its in there someplace, anyone know where??

It's not kept in the registry - not unless it's in some sort of encrypted form. TBH I don't think that windows does keep the CD Key/serial anywhere. I think what happens is that during the install windows looks @ the serial you enter, does some sums to check if it's valid, then takes a look @ your system, assigns values for the components of your system, then uses these & the serial to do some more sums to generate the Product Identification Number. @ least that's what I think happens, I could be wrong. smile

It must store it somewhere as the new SP1 blocks out certain XP keys that are known to be pirated and wont allow them to update. So it must keep the key somewere.

Well the keys have some number crunching done on them, and perhaps all that is kept in the registry is the result of this calculation, and then when SP1 checks if your key is valid, it just checks the calculated code - make sense ?

AFAIK, no version of Windows has ever stored the actual key anywhere after installation.

Suppose it would make sense frown as programs could just access it and then do whatever with it. Suppose youll have have to find the box frown

This isn't going to help but:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents

wink

Quote:

I lost my CD key and was wondering where in the registry i can find it. I see the product ID but not the key. I know its in there someplace, anyone know where??

go here and download and run their program...it's actually kinda neat what it can tell you...

i beleive it'll work for xp....it'll tell you your serials and more

It doesn't give the serials for Windows & Office, it gives the Product Identification Numbers, which are [i think] what was referred to earlier as the result of the calculations done on the original serial/key.

Quote:

AFAIK, no version of Windows has ever stored the actual key anywhere after installation.

That is WRONG, Windows 95-ME stored the CD-KEY in the registry.

Prove it laugh

Without looking, I'm pretty sure that what it stores is just a portion of the CD key, which is its converted 'product' key.

I'm having a look now though to re-educate myself lol.

EDIT: Hey your right!. Well I never knew that..

Go to any 9.x registry.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

and look for yourself. I used to have to delete this key before we shipped out OEM computers, when deleted it prompts you for CD-KEY upon reaching desktop. It shows the FULL CD-KEY. This stopped in Windows 2000.

Windows up to and including WinME stored the whole cd Key in the registry, and it not encrypted, and Office programs too.

XP SP1 checks for pirated Cd Keys, the keys must be encrypted, but they are there in some form.

Windows up to and including WinME stored the whole cd Key in the registry, and it not encrypted, and Office programs too.

XP SP1 checks for pirated Cd Keys, the keys must be encrypted, but they are there in some form.

http://xpkeyviewer.freeservers.com/main.html

allows you to view your xpkey, dunno why you need to, i always write mine behind my keyboard on a sticky note incase i loose it, but use that for whatever purpose, worked fine when i tried it on home edition so i assume it works on pro, i dont condone piracy in anyway i hope sp1 locks you all out! wink

hi chaps,

the product id AND key are both stored in Win98 and 98se.

I have searched the old parts of my updated registry and they are no longer there (win98se to xp upgrade)

Xp only (as far as i can tell) stores product id.

if anyone knows different, please post as i would love to know.

cheers,

Tim

Quote:

Xp only (as far as i can tell) stores product id.

if anyone knows different, please post as i would love to know.

cheers,
Tim
Tim, click that link in the post above yours, the prog works.

aha!

i will continue my hunt smile

i wrote a small dos (qb) app that changes win95, 98, 98se and me keys (for trade use) and all that...

I have only had the xp pro up and running for a few days and so far so good. (fun with usb though).

thanks for the heads up. registered with ntcompat today and still finding my feet.

regards,

tim