Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

What do you consider the best computer game ever made?

Yep, I used to play it all the time when it first came out on MPlayer, then I moved over to Kali and played it until the bitter end. AccLAME basically gave up on the game, even though it ran very well on just about anything from a p166 on up.

Oh, and I used the Spacetec SpaceORB as the controller (my pre-ordered copy came with one), and that too was something killed off by its respective manufacturer. But those were the days... frown

Ya Ya i follow the horde but i still think Counter Strike is the best first person shooter ever made (including 1.4 get over the jumping fewlz). string me up whatever. Action Quake2 was pretty good too...

as far as old school goes i think the most quarters i've dumped into a machine was Galaga.

Remember Ports Of Call? First it came out it had Hercules / CGA graphics, later it was enhanced by fabulous VGA graphics.

Na, lets forget them laugh Well Keen was good smile but gods.......!

Tony Hawk Pro Skate 2 and 3

Half-Life (Frontline Force and CS)

EverQuest is seemingly for people who have entirely too much time on their hands. All my friends play it, a little to boring for me and $9.95 a month to play...geeeez

The best graphic game is probably Medal of Honor: Allied Assualt. Expecially with all the settings set to max.

Best racing game: Motocross Madness 2

Best role playing game: Diablo2

Counterstrike was fun until the cheaters ruined the game.

Starcraft. So many years playing it and it's still a lot of fun.

[]s Badaro

I cant get into Gothic, it annoys me that they created a game that does not allow you to utilize your mouse

Quote:

Na, lets forget them laugh Well Keen was good smile but gods.......!
What's wrong with Gods? it's a classic.

Just dont feel right somehow frown , i like sidescrollers but that just reminds me of Atari STs for some reason frown (Authough they were quality computers, they just remind me of some1 frown who was really annoying) laugh

in no particular order:

no one lives forever

deus ex

undying

medal of honour

quake

blood

swat 3

the last express (adventure)

the longest journey (adventure)

The game I played for the longest period of time (and which I still keep playing) is Counter-Strike..

it may not be the best game ever but it kept me playing it rather long compared to all the other games smile

@ M4Carbine

If you like sidescrollers you probably know the just recently released game "Solaris 104". Sidescroler with today´s graphics smile

Dune 2: the first RTS that looked like most modern RTS games and it was great fun to play.

Frontier - Elite II: great fun game that consumed much of my time (though I never really properly got the hang of the combat).

Half-life: the game that convinced me to buy a PC. And I still can't get over how satisfying that shotgun is in multiplayer - not to mention the best rocket launcher I've ever seen (and no you can't rocket jump with it wink ).

Starcraft: the game that consumed the very largest part of my (and several other people's) first year at University...

plus some classics including Monty on the run, Kikstart 2 and various other C64 games.

[edit] Ermmm... how on Earth did I forget about Final Fantasy VII? smile

Quote:

@ M4Carbine

If you like sidescrollers you probably know the just recently released game "Solaris 104". Sidescroler with today´s graphics smile
That reminds me - I've got a vertical scroller I never got around to having a serious go @, despite it being the kinda thing I like - Raptor: Call of the Shadows. I know it's a DOS game, but I suppose it's possible it might work [unless someone's already tried it & found out it doesn't work - where's DosFreak when you need him? :D]. Anyway, no point in even trying them until I get my Audigy [& I just got hit with a big (for me) phone bill as well :(]. :sigh:

<few mins later>
decided to check the compatibility list & apparently Raptor does work, so that's 1 less thing to worry about. smile

Hey DosFreak: I notice in your list that SimCity 3000 [not the unlimited version] works without any probs in 2K, & someone has added it to the compatibility list with it listed as no probs in XP, but when I tried to get it to work on XP it installs ok, but when you click on the shortcut to run it the only sign that windows gives of even acknowledging the clicking of the link is briefly changing the cursor to the busy/working cursor, for perhaps 1/2 a second. It just won't run - no error messages @ all. Any ideas?

Yeah i love side/vertical scrollers, especially Tyrian. Had sooo much fun with that game and its wicked music :D, not played a scroller as fun as that though in ages frown

Anyway smile Ill give that solaris 1 a try later tonight smile

In no particular order:

Gauntlet/Gauntlet II (original arcade versions)

Street Fighter II (and its many permutations on just as many platforms)

Dungeon Master (Atari ST)

Bard's Tale series

Diablo series

Utopia (Intellivsion ;))

The Power of He-Man (also Intellivision)

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin/Minotaur (guess what? ;))

Command & Conquer: Red Alert (the best mix of weapons in the entire series)

The AD&D Gold Box games laugh

There were others, but these were the true time-killers!

Master of Orion and and Civilization (maybe not the last one)

Oh I can't forget the Doom either smile

And Finally Day of the Tentacle and Beneath a Steel Sky as Advantures.

Depends on the category. IMHO:

Adventure - Zork, Grim Fandango

1st Person - Halflife, Deus Ex, Jedi Knight 2

3rd Person - Myth 1/2, Diablo 1/2

Strategy - XCOM/Civ 1,2,3/Alpha Centauri/MOO2/JA2

Arcade - Bejeweled

RPG - Balders Gate

Simulation - The Sims, Janes 688i

If I had to pick just one it would probably be XCOM. It had the best combination of strategy and tactics of any game I have ever played. Even though it is over 10 years old and the graphics are cheesy, I still play it.

Jim Smith

Strange, no one of you have ever mentioned

Red Faction or

Hive (a Red Faction Modification)

But i remember also those great Commodore 64 Games...

Impossible Mission

Bruce Lee

Summer Games

Winter Games

etc...

Someone of you remember those games??? or i'm getting to old...

just never occurred to mention it. since a good majority of this forum seems to think Athlon was the first PC processor smile

I have one more if we are going that much further.

River Raid

I have it running on an emulator too. It's developer would have been proud. Accross decades and Gigahertz's. When it was made a GB was a more or less future prediction or Sci-Fi Stuff.