Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyKillerMan

mobo good? bad? ugly?

The gaming board that I see most often recommended for that chipset is the Epox 8k3a+. It is cheaper and faster on the whole. This is presuming that you are getting it for gaming and overclocking. Who can argue with the quality of Asus on the other hand? It is not as overclockable, but if you get into that, there are the physical jumpers that have to be played with to get the best out of the board.

Hope this helps.

Go to AMDMB and check out their forums. I did have that Epox for a few weeks before an unforunate death (if you want the whole story PM or e-mail me) and that has overclocking options to Toledo. The only thing that can beat it is Abit's KX7-333. The only thing I don't like about that Epox is the location of the IDE ports at the bottom edge. If you have a full-tower like me, you may find this board a bit unfriendly here.

I've been hearing the MSI KT3 Ultra is a very good board as well.

Quote:
I've been hearing the MSI KT3 Ultra is a very good board as well.

yeah...I read that as well. The price was the main thing that I liked about the board. It was about $50 cheaper than the asus board.

I also have a full tower case, so the positioning of the IDE controllers is key.

Finally I went with the ASUS board. The only thing that worries me now is the floppy controller. Unfortunatly the asus has on board sound (I would rather have LAN). Fortunatly for about $30 I got it with ata133 raid. Now, I do have two more raid cards, an IWILL and a Promise, both ata100, but I will most likely use them as IDE controllers/RAID array for a "slower/older" computer. This way i can set up a computer for all my needs. Backup, FTP serving, web serving ... etc ... .

Thanks for the suggestions though fella's. Got me pointed in the right direction.

Quote:
As nice as that dual Xeon rig would be, I think that's a tad more than he want's to spend

Everything's more $$$ than I want to spend.
laugh

My CPU is running hot as heck in this board though. HIts 60 degrees sometimes. The weird thing is that for some reason my CPU is unlocked. I was never able to OC on my a7m-266. No, I can, and the lowest VCORE on jumperless is 1.75V (I can jumper it to go low low for the t-bred chipsets though)