Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
harlekin

will it ever be possible to...

i know this problem is old, but maybe someone found a solution.

is it possible to make the windows xp mouse-feeling exactly the same as in win 98 /me /2000 ?

is there a tweak to enable selection of mouse acceleration (low, middle...) ?

is there a - new - tweak or whatever?

is there a official statement from microsoft?

are there any hints that this problem will be fixed with service pack 1?

if someone knows something new, please share your knowledge.

I dont think you can get it exactly the same. All i do is go into the mouse properties, turn off mouse acceleration/enhanced pointer precision and move the speed slider 1 notch to the right (or maybe left i cant remember :()

yea there is a way

manually install the mouse drivers.

i.e. logitek

unzip the mouseware.exe file and install just the drivers in comp management

There used to be an option to accelerate the movement of your mouse, the longer you moved it for. I believe this is the option that harlekin was talking about that doesn't appear under Windows XP.

Mouse acceleration was replaced by "Enhanced Pointer Precision," which does the opposite; it decelerates the pointer more as you slow down. Sort of the same as acceleration was, but feels a bit different.

The mouse in the OS seems fine (or maybe I've just got used to it), but it's really hacking me off in Half-Life.

In every other game I play under XP, the mouse is fine. In Half-Life, if I use the keyboard to move at the same time as using the mouse to look, I really have to wrestle with the mouse to get it to work. It just seems to ignore me most of the time.

If I bind a mouse button to Forward, then I can hold that down and look without problem. It's just when I use the keyboard and mouse together.

It all worked flawlessly under Windows 2000, so there must be something in XP.

I've tried command line switches to HL, tried it in compatibility mode, tried registry tweaks and all-sorts. It just won't work properly.

Anyone else got any ideas?

I dunno what mouse the original poster has, but if you have a Logitech USB Optical Wheel mouse there's a very simple way - don't install any extra drivers!!! Stick with the 1s XP installs during install of the OS. Best mouse I've ever owned, but goes all weird if you install any other drivers - either the 1s from Logitech or the 1s from Windows Update.

Oh SMEG! I just had a rather unpleasant thought. You know how SP1 is gonna come with a load of fixes, updates, etc, etc, ad nauseum? Does that mean that it will install newer versions of drivers whether we want them or not? Cos I really don't want any other mouse driver than the 1 I have now, but I don't wanna miss out on some of the potential goodies of SP1.

The same goes for a few other updates. With 98SE I just installed any & all updates going, but with XP I only install the critical updates & the others if they are relevant to my system/needs, & have found this to be a good working policy, but will we be forced to have all of the updates if we install SP1???? confused

THIS JUST IN...

With the release of SP1 for Windows XP, Microsoft will no longer support third party mice. Driver support will only be enabled for the MS Intellimouse line of mice. laugh

Ah, but does that mean that they just won't bother making any new drivers for them &/or including them in Windows Update, or that it will actually be impossible to use a non-MS mouse from then on? I realise the 2nd option is unlikely, but with MS you never know.....