Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
p00pie

Low transfer speeds in LAN connection between 2 XP systems

Hi guys, here it is :

I have 2 XP systems (mainly with the same components) connected thru a 8-port switch. On the first computer i have Wingate & BlackIce and it's used for accessing Internet (via Dial-up, don't laugh, please :()

Here comes the problem :

Let's say i want to transfer something (eg. a movie) FROM the server (the one with all Wingate and stuff) to my comp. It works really fine, in Task Manager it says 70% of the connection is used.

But when i try to transfer somtehing TO the server it works like crap. About 2% of the connection is used. I think it's pretty weird....

Also, i've stopped Wingate & BlackICe completely but this doesn't solve the problem.

Please help me guyz, coz it's driving me nuts !!!!

Thanks!

i have the same problem too

it is appearing on both win2k + winxp

win98 does not seem to have this problem?

any ideas on how to solve this?

I keep having this issue, too. Usually, disabling and enabling the network connection on the server fixes that problem for the current session. Sometimes, I´ve got to do this with the client, too.

Had this happen to me also.. but this was my own stupid fault (I kicked my network cable so it was barely in the plug). Here's some things you can check:

If you are using a hub make sure both network adapters are set to half-duplex or there will be massive collisions slowing you down. If you are using a switch, go for full or stick with autonegotiation.

Load up gpedit.msc and head over to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Network->QOS Scheduler and set the Limit Reservable Bandwidth to 10% or 0%.

Try experimenting by starting or stopping the Background Intelligent Transfer service and the Upload Manager service. My computer doesn't seem to transfer well with the Background one on, but makes no difference with the Upload Manager on or off.

If the client and the server are on different subnets make sure you allow all ICMP traffic to go through so the Path MTU discovery works.

I've noticed Windows XP freaks out if you block traffic going to/from localhost (127.0.0.1). So if you do have a firewall, try adding a rule to allow all TCP/UDP traffic to/from this address and see if that speeds things up.

Also you can try Windows XP's network diagnostics, though it might be difficult to understand. Type in "netsh diag gui" in DOS to launch it.

Good luck.