Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

DirectX 9

Just installed this and getting some lag in games now like GTA3.

Anyone else installed this?

Well, it is only a beta, and this is why, it is not fully working, and games are , or sorry, direct X is not yet optimized for use with games as of yet to it's highest level

that is one of the con's of using Beta drivers smile

Yup, agreed. I got burnt by a DX8 beta. Never again will I run beta versions of it.

Yea i find gta 3 slow as on my puter using either dx8 or dx9...i think dx9 runs faster. Although im running an AMD xp 1700+ and 256mb ram and got a TNT2 32mb....fast as gta 3 will run is bout 10 or less fps in 3rd person view in some areas of the map...generally on the outside of the city... but if i change view to birds eye view it still runs pretty slow for a fast puter. Any one know why this is so....the readme file says with nvidia + windows xp u need the updated d3d8.dll file which is part of the SP1 or i think its on the update site as standby and hibination update....but what i have tryed to play of gta 3....it KICKS ***!!! laugh

Quote:

direct X is not yet optimized for use with games as of yet to it's highest level

How very true :P

Gta3 is simply not optimized to the pc platform, it is only a lame PS2 port...

If you've got a powerful enough PC then GTA3 plays as well if not better on the PC than on the PS2.

Not had any GTA3 issues at all on my PC, well I have, but they are "getting stuck on mission" issues are certainly not speed ones.

Gta3 works slowly but try to change distance view in options. I can't see big difference in graphics but the game runs faster.

Quote:

Gta3 is simply not optimized to the pc platform, it is only a lame PS2 port...

it is optimized fine on my system smile and works flawlessly! u do need a good computer to really enjoy the game.

(check system specs of Vaio below)

Quote:

Just installed this and getting some lag in games now like GTA3.

Anyone else installed this?

I had the problem too, except that it was Diablo 2 that kept crashing before getting to the battle.net login screen. I just used the uninstalling that came with it, but eventually, just formatted cuz I felt like it smile

Now GTA3 does take a lot of system to use however, so that could be your problem.

Quote:

If you've got a powerful enough PC then GTA3 plays as well if not better on the PC than on the PS2.

;( Let me guess, thats because it's on the PC? The game is exactly the same across the two platforms so how can it play better on one over the other?

Quote:

;( Let me guess, thats because it's on the PC? The game is exactly the same across the two platforms so how can it play better on one over the other?

Because the PlayStation 2 is optimized 100% for Games only.

I'm not arguing either side of the coin here, but I will say that any PC can match up to a console in gaming and even more....as long as the user is willing to invest the time and money.

The difference is that with a PS2, you are getting it for the games only but with a PC, at least you can customize what you want the PC to be for...50% Games, 50% Applications or 75% Games, 25% Applications, the list goes on and on.

I know any typical 1 Ghz Machine with something as low as a GeForce 2 and 256 MB DDR could play any game better than a PS2, and the person still has the additional uses of the PC that are not found on a PS2, which is again, a gaming console.

Quote:

blah blah blah blah

You didn't answer the question: If the game is exactly the same across both platforms how can it be said to play better on one over the other? Logic suggests that, because its exactly the same on both, it'll play exactly the same on both.

I know, but he ain't talking about the game itself, he is talking about the resources required to play it. (I think). I'm sure he is saying the difference between the hardware and graphics on a PS2 versus hardware and graphics on a typical PC. Sure, it's the exact same game, but it's not the exact same programming and a beefed PC would make the game much more comfortable to play.

I thought he was talking about the graphics/system resources.

Quote:

I know, but he ain't talking about the game itself, he is talking about the resources required to play it. (I think). I'm sure he is saying the difference between the hardware and graphics on a PS2 versus hardware and graphics on a typical PC. Sure, it's the exact same game, but it's not the exact same programming and a beefed PC would make the game much more comfortable to play.

I thought he was talking about the graphics/system resources.

Graphics don't matter. The game is exactly the same across both platforms so noone can honestly say it plays better on one over the other.

Try optimising your services (i.e. stop the services u don't need from starting up automatically, try the following link: -

http://www.deviantpc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1926

also may want to look at the Windows2000 guide from NT Compatible (the services bit will still be pertinent for XP users): -

http://www.ntcompatible.com/content.php?page_id=2

also boost the priority you start your game (show you how in the above guide).

Also ensure your monitor is running at a high enough vertical refresh rate (use the utility refreshlock) mine runs 120 Hz for 640x480 & 800x600. I'd stay away from beta software.

GTA3 runs gr8 on my PC: -

Athlon 750Mhz (T'bird), GeForce2 64MB, 384 MB Crucial CAS2 PC133 SDRAM,MSI K7T Pro-2A, 40 GB IBM Deskstar ATA100 HDD, SB Live! 1024, Intel Pro 100+ nic, Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem, Windows 2000 proff SP2.

Admiral LSD & One_2_three,

The user interface (joystick/joypad/mouse etc...) available on the PC plus the extra computational power allows the PC to be a better platform for games than currently available consoles. Btw how is the PS2 optimied for games it's got a Sony RISC CPU (emotion engine), Sony graphics chip, Rambus RDRAM, Sony motherboard, DVD drive. The Sony OS that runs on the Sony PS2 computer just has limited set of services running on it. Since I've hardened/optimsed my Windows 2000 build for games is my PC a console?

Yes but no matter how powerful your PC is or how optimised it is for games that doesn't change the fact that GTA3 is exactly the same across both platforms so how can it play better on one over the other?

You can't get any higher than 30 FPS in it, no matter how nice your PC is. It is a very bad port from the PS2.

It was a mess, but finally got it to work. here was my situation...

GA-7ixe4 mobo, (now) ATI Radeon 7500 64meg AGP card, Athlon 850mhz,

768mb ram.

to make a VERY long story short, I had tried different AGP cards,

no luck, put in a bigger power supply, no go,

updated drivers like mad, nada...

lowered the clock speed on my mobo, WAMO! gta3 ran like mad,

perfect, so my 850 now runs at 750mhz, that mobo didnt like

8xx mhz proc's. im sure overclocking would work too, but dont have

the money to replace if anything frys or the cooling system (married with children)

But anyway, that fixed my problem, changing the clock speed.

another thing i noticed, not sure if its the card or what i did,

but RTCW plays much faster and its grafics are now out of this world.

it played decent before though, just much better now.

Quote:

Yes but no matter how powerful your PC is or how optimised it is for games that doesn't change the fact that GTA3 is exactly the same across both platforms so how can it play better on one over the other?

what?? are you not listening to anyone??.. either i've got the complete wrong end of the stick (if so i appologuise) or you seem to be ignoring everyone..

If i had a p2 233 with 32MB ram and a riva 128, then you are trying to say that, the game will play exactly the same as it would on the PS2, are you being overly pedantic in your usage of the word "play"?? ;(
the way i see it, if the game stutters then regardless if the game is exactly the same the playability of it will be lower than it could.... hmmm

its not the same. For PS2 they KNOW what everyone is using, they KNOW how to optimise the game code. for PC it does matter what you have, they are trying to make it generically for x86 platform. All of the PCs are running differnt OS's, different proc. speeds, different video cards, different amounts of ram. They try to code it using the lowest common demoninator and still make the game work nice, but that doesnt always happen. Thats why MACs are so stable, they follow some form of standards (risc processing, only one brand of proc. not 3 /amd, intel, cyrix/ its a whole different world, ill bet you a mac version would be more stable. (i dont own a mac, and never have, and im not a mac fanatic, i just know they are stable *** machines)

Ok, A$$ got edited (censored) yet you can hear it all day long on your local radio station. Does the moderators possibly have their priorities WAYYYYYYYYYYY out of whack? ofcourse, its an NT site, a pro MS site (Bill Gates: censor censor censor, keep them stupider than we are!)