Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anon-65e40e4a71

GTA3 - Install Problem!!

I am trying to get GTA3 installed onto my other pc to see how it runs etc. Its an AMD Duron 900Mhz, ECS K7S5A mobo, 256MB Crucial ram, Voodoo3, SB Live 1024, etc running on a new install of Win2k Pro with SP2 It all runs quite well and its really fast. I put the GTA3 cd in, let it auto-run, click on OK then it stops with this error msg:

Quote:
The InstallShield engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed. (0x10000)

Anyone help me?

Tha's your prob, your stuck like me and 100's of other who want to play GTA3 and have a VooDoo 3 frown the only way to fix it is to get a new graphics card, there is a fix that works about 25% of the time but that's only for Intel processors and like me u have an AMD pro.

Don't blame 2K blame Rockstar they should have put Extra code in 2 make the game compatible with a VooDoo 3 or @ least release a patch!!mad

Hardly Rockstar's fault.

They have chosen a minimum specification and written their code around that.

They cannot be expected to code something perfectly for a dead graphics card/API.

stick it in your other cd-rom --the one closest to C:

I find some games require you to use your first listed cd-rom/dvd rom whatever.

(the error message u listed is one that points to this kind of error)

Hey, I got the same problem with GTA 3 but it isn't only for this game. Although it's the original GTA3 cd. When I want to install the game there's a error msg -->

An installation support file "C:\program files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel32\iuser.dll " could not be installed.

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

That's really weird and I don't want to re-install my whole pc frown

Quote:

Hardly Rockstar's fault.
They have chosen a minimum specification and written their code around that.
They cannot be expected to code something perfectly for a dead graphics card/API.

exactly!
Why should a company drop the quality of their game, increase production time for something that is no longer supported.

u can buy a Geforce 2 32mb card for like $50 US now (or less), may want to consider splurging(typo?) for one some time soon.

There are 3rd party drivers to get voodoo 3 working somewhat with directx 8.1. http://www.voodoofiles.com/ . However even with these drivers the game freezes up for me after 5 minutes of game play. But this is on an xp machine. Not mine somebody elses. Give em a try you may get lucky.

I think its all rockstars fault gta3 is so F*$%ed...its had nothing but problems with it since its release. U go to any tech site or forum and people r asking for help on getting the prick to run smoothly or even at all, most nvidia chipset cards dont work very well...all u get is missing scenery and major lag time thru all of the game. Like 1 minute it will be running smooth as ice...next its like ur running it on a 486 with 2 mb of ram...rockstar really needs to test their games before releasing them...or they will end up like windows 2000 and needing to add service pack after service pack to get it running like it should...well thats my 2 cents. laugh

^^^^

I installed it, and it ran like a charm (1600 x 1200 x 32), so i don't know what these other people are doing wrong, but obviously something...

Well I'm with you on this one, GTA3 has been a charm since the day I got it.

I tend to run my games at either 1024x768 or 1280x1024 - I know that 1600x1200 would be possible, but personally I like to sacrifice some detail for the ability to actually see what I'm doing in the game smile

The game installed fine, not a single glitch.

The game itself runs smooth and without problem, I've never had a single problem with it mainly because I bothered to read the readme file before attempting to play and installed the MS patch before I'd even run the game.

This really has been a no-brainer to both install and play without a single problem.

I had the problem of being able to play the game and save my progress, then when trying to restore the save, it crashes with a "Could not access memory, blah blah blah" error.