Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedStar

A 2packwin2kset of mindboggling probs.

1) WHen i bought system..dealer applied SP2 for me.

I Then downloaded it from MS site to put it on CD for whenever i would need to re-apply it again.

A while ago i had to replace the HDD. Got some crash problems.

So i ran SFC and almost every file it was telling me to replace.

Now here is my problem (question) --when SFC prompts for me to put in my SP2 disk to write a file, it will not accept the cd i made. So HOW do i get around this problem? It took me ages to fight my way out of SFC cause it kept looping and i could not cancel.

2) Here is a small but annoying problem to do with the start menu.

If i drag a folder into another folder on the start menu it should move folder's contents and itself into the other folder.

BUT only some folder items get moved..the rest are lost.

I have tried doing this under the advanced options and in the start folder itself. The result is the same..lacking.

So how do you move a folder and ALL of its contents into another folder or one that you create?

1. Read through this article to learn how to integrate SP2 into your W2k CD. After you make the CD, use it when SFC asks for it.

2. Add that to the long list of start menu/explorer bugs that have haunted Windows since 1995. The reason annoying little bugs like this are in every version since then is to make people want the new improved version when it comes out, which contains the same bugs in a fuzzier gui. smile

that number 2 problem is also in XP..you'd think that would only make the user angry at having upgraded for naught wink

thanks for the info.. on 1!! I'm gonna do that as soon as sp3 comes out cause some people on this site now claim it will be released in just a few days. smile

Im having some problems following the directions. like..

does the first step read:

1. Put the Win2k disk into the cd-rom. Open Windows Explorer while at the same time depressing the shift key (right or left?) for several minutes (how long exactly and why?). Make a folder called (Driver Letter -ie. C):\win2kcd.

how do i add IE 6 to the image if i just upgraded it over the old ie5?

"7. Download CDRWIN from www.goldenhawk.com "

is there another pogram..this one is shareware that only allows 1x speed?

TIA smile

I am not exactly sure what you are wanting to do, but ... After putting a CD in the drive, depressing the shift key stops the CD from autorunning. On the other hand, depressing the Shift key for too long will cause W2k to display a message about being ham handed and do you want windows to give you a default time for holding down the key.

If you want to add IE6 to the image,put the complete install on the cd. Then in the WINNT.SIF file add a [RunOnce] section with the path to the setup file.This will on install after the OS is installed continue and add IE6. The only problem I have had is that I could not get it to do a full unattend of IE6 I had to accept the EULA and click OK a few times.

For more info on editing the .SIF file look at the tools\deploy section on the W2K CD.

http://www.bink.nu/Bootcd/default.htm

This site has some info on making the bootable CD.