Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

New Unreal Engine powered games

Games like Unreal ][, UT 2003, Deus Ex 2, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Mobile Forces, The Y-Project, Lineage ][, and America's Army (US Army made game to be released for free--no kidding) are looking pretty good so far.

Take a peek at this image from America's Army. Note the volumetric shadow from the soldier to the left, which casts a realistic shadow on the floor and on the soldier in front of him, from the light out of frame.

There is so much cool stuff in these webpages, I could go on and on, but instead, I'll just put up the links so you can find out for yourself. The new Unreal Engine is looking more and more impressive. 8)

(note: the Deus Ex 2 site is at www . deus ex 2 . com (without the spaces))

Perhaps the army is putting out a free game to try and show people how "fun" it is to be in the amry, and make more kids run out a join to help the "fight against terrosism",

Promotional or not, it's a free game that would likely cost $40-$50 if its production wasn't paid for by tax-dollars, and it uses the latest in Unreal Technology.

Advertisements have been used in video games before, maybe this is just the next logical step... That is, instead of having advertisements in a game, have the advertisement the game itself.

Interesting how each team plays as members of the US Army, with both teams only perceiving the opposing team as terrorists--no one has to be the bad guy! Brilliant.

These are gonna be cool games comin' out. I've been more on the Unreal side of things since my old Voodoo 3 came with Unreal--which was just mind-blowing awesome when I saw it (still is, BTW). Deus Ex is another good game to boot.

Just found out that the new Unreal engine was scrapped for Deus Ex 2 and they are now using their own custom engine, still looks freaking amazing, check it out at www.deus ex2.com no space in between the words obviously, but you just can't spell that s-e-x word.

Sorry meant to say that they are including technology from other engines including ION's Havoc engine for Physics and other physic related technological breakthroughs.........

Quote:

...Unreal--which was just mind-blowing awesome when I saw it (still is, BTW)...
I agree. Never before had I perceived such a sense of depth while playing a video game as I did when I first looked down from the edge of the first cliff to the water below.

Unreal Gold is a steal at $10, for anyone who's looking for a good FPS game at a great price. Totally Unreal (around $20) includes Unreal Gold, and Unreal Tournament Game of the Year Edition, for those who haven't realized that UT is still the best action-based multiplayer FPS game out there. Hopefully it'll soon be trumped by UT2003, but with slow systems out there, UT will still have its place for a couple more years, and will be staying on my HD for a while. Mod Squad reviews many mods that expand UT gameplay, and will likely keep on top of UT2003 mods/mutators as well.

Quote:

Perhaps the army is putting out a free game to try and show people how "fun" it is to be in the amry, and make more kids run out a join to help the "fight against terrosism",

not perhaps, that's for sure smile

What I don't get is how so many gamers don't bother with the old games of their preferred genre, even if they were top rated or even game of the year.

Before I burn money on new games, I try to find the cheaper, top rated games of yesterday.

FPS games of today could (and should) learn a thing or two from old games. For instance, the ambient, non-hostile life forms in Unreal; the sound, atmosphere, and interfaces in System Shock 2 (Deus Ex should've used a more SS2 like hacking interface than the lame one it used); the nearly cinematic (yet still seen from the first person view) events in Half-Life; and the incredible story/plot and open-ended gameplay of Deus Ex.

I have to admit I coudln´t resist and downloaded the leaked UT2k3 demo. After setting the details to ultra high I have to admit that my system can´t handle it on 1024x768.

In addition, I won´t upgrade to Athlon XP 2200+ and Asus A7V333. I just read that the KT333 chipset (especially the 8233A southbridge) has problems with data corruption just like the KT133A (686b southbridge) had. I hope VIA will learn their lesson and fix bugs with the new 8235 southbridge which will appear later this year. It looks like my next CPU won´t be a T-Bred, but a Hammer wink Or back to Intel, if boards with SIS and nVidia chipsets continue to have no RAID controller onboard.

Where can i get this leaked demo ? laugh Sorry, but i really wanna try this game out laugh

Actually, just read something from Epic on the leaked demo, ill wait till its official.

On my 850 P3, UT2003 demo runs very nicely with a gf2mx400

Every settings to max in the .ini, 800x600 (I would say about 30fps)

And damn, what a great game! the graphics are incredible!