Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hykster

Ugh... need help again guys... =(

Okay.. I unplugged my laptop from my router cuz I had to take it to work and now I have it back home and plugged it into my LinkSys router, and I cannot get a internet connection.

I currently have a LinkSys DSL 4-port switch Router (BEFSR41) and I'm having problems connection a second computer to the router to share an internet connection. I can get a connection through my desktop computer, but not through my laptop. But I can still access the LinkSys web setup pages on both computers at the same time (changed address to 192.168.1.5). On my ethernet adapter on my laptop, I chose "Obtain an IP address automatically" but I still can't get a connection. I had to set the Subnet mask on my router to 255.255.255.252 because that's what my DSL service uses. Is there a way I can establish a connection through my laptop and have it still configured to 255.255.255.252 instead of it defaulting to 255.255.255.0? (I tried setting it up manually in the network connections control panel but I still don't get a connection, but can access the router setup webpages from both comps.) I've tried resetting the router and the modem and nothing has worked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

What error page do you see in IE when it doesn't connect? What is the error number?

Did you install the software that came with your dsl? Or are you using default windows IE, pppoe, etc.

Read this article and see if it sounds familiar.

hmm...wouldn't he be using the PPPoE software that the router provides? hence the setup page? and as for changing the subnet, i don't think you need to do that, atleast I didn't have to change that in my setup. The only thing I can think of is for you to go to properties of your NIC and click on Advanced.. then in IP Settings under Default gateways, click on Add, then put the IP of the Linksys router. You are supposed to only change that for every computer you want access to the net if you are using DHCP. Try it and see if that works.

You are putting way too much effort into this configuration. So, either you are doing something astronomically wrong, or the router is defective. You have seen many of the suggestions from the previous thread, and these are from people that have set many of these up (like myself). You might want to swap yours out for a new one at your retailer and see if that's the issue. Then, once that's done, ONLY set the workstations to DHCP, and just plug the router in. The unit should work just fine in 95% of the setups with the defaults.