Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dizarludba

memory slot

i have a laptop pc , Compaq Presario 12XL506 Model .... i want to upgrade my RAM( physical memory ) . But i am not sure how many slot does this laptop have . I try to contact COMPAQ locally , but i cant find them , i also fine the site but there is no such a way for me to contact them , if anyone know about this issue , please msg me , thankx a lot for those helps .... thanks again ...

( i do try to open the laptop , but there is warranty seal )

Most of the laptops I have seen have 2 slots for ram but you may want to consult your docs to verify this. My Dell Laptop has 2 slots and I am considering upgrading my memory also.

Compaq Presario 12XL506 Features:

?Intel?Celeron?Processor - 766 MHz

?64 MB SyncDRAM (upgradable to 320MB)

?128KB Level 2 Pipeline Burst Cache

?10.0 GB Hard Drive

?3.5" 1.44 MB Disk Drive

?24X Max CD-ROM Drive

?56K ITU V.90 modem (14.4k fax)

Since it says memory is upgradable to 320MB there should be more than 1 memory slot. Never heard of a 320MB stick of ram, though I could be wrong.

Found the info. here

<edit>

And from here it seems that the 505 model which I'm sure is similiar to yours says that 64mb of is 'non removable' which means there is one slot available for upgrades, which makes sense (64 + 256 = 320mb)

</edit>

If we take the maximum memory and take away the original amount (320-64) we get a much more PC friendly 256MB smile

This means one of two things:

1. 64MB RAM on-board and 1 expansion slot that can take up to a 256MB SODIMM.

2. 64MB RAM on-board and 2 expansion slots that can each take up to a 128MB SODIMM.

Either way, if you've never upgraded the RAM and you are still on 64MB then you'll be able to fit at least one module.

Remember there is a high chance Compaq will use parity memory modules, best bet is to purchase official Compaq memory.

Also, warranty sealed possibly, but surely it's now out of warranty meaning it really doesn't matter if you open it?

Also, you'd have to break those seals to fit any memory, so you might as well break her open before purchase to avoid disapointment.

thanks a lot everyone ... mmm however is it mean that , there is only one slot for upgradeable .... ok thanx again everbody .... i will pu tall those information into my consideration ....