well,im having a small problem..i built a new pc for my uncle

specs:

Windows XP Pro

P4 1.8 sock 478

Soyo P4I Dragon Mobo

512 pc-2100 DDr ram

SB Live 5.1

yatta yatta yatta

the problem is,i installed the whole shooting match from the cd that came with the card,insalled the patch thats out for multi users on XP,and then installed the XP 5.1 driver from creatives site..anytime i try and play music,and then try and adjust volume..XP freezes..so i uninstalled all sb live drivers..removed card from device manager,put in a diff slot..reloaded the default XP drivers..same thing..again uninstalled everything..and loaded the XP driver from creative...still freezes whenever i try and adjust volume,windows volume control,or wmp's volume control..any ideas??

I just wanted to add,its a intel chipset mobo and has latest intel chipset drivers loaded..i also have same chipset,but have the sb live x-gamer with liveware 3 loaded,and have never had any probs

soundblaster drivers are pants... try uninstalling your chipset drivers..i had to do it with a mates board with an intel chipset and a soundblaster live value. not the same card i no but try it.

try an older driver for your sound ..it might be a problem with that board..computers are alive im sure..they mess with you. also try a bios update..if no joy then i cant help.

as I found out when I built a friend's PC, if you're gonna put the Creative drivers in don't put the MS 1s in as well. MS or Creative, not both.

Creative driver for SBLive is a piece of ****. Change the sound card, e.g. Audigy has no problem with xp, or use original xp's drivers (I know there are some features you can use them then).

Well I just build a new system

win xp

amd 1800+

giga g7rxvp

512mb ddr333 ram

80g hd

sb live 5.1 platinum

On xp I installed the drivers from creative disk and then applied the

patches from www.soundblaster.com for remote control center etx and had problems with loud clicking noises when it rebooted and the fix that i used was left the programs on for the sound card and reinstall the drivers from the winxp cd and now it works perfectly

OBTW if you have a 6 pc speaker set for your sb live card

if you want to use the CENTER speaker all the time

goto the creative player and look for an option that says

CMSS and set it to movie mode. when you test the speakers for 5.1 sound it will play the test for the center speaker but all other sounds and games will not play in the center speaker unless you do the above steps.

Try placing the soundcard in a different PCI slot. It's possible the slot the card is in is causing a conflict when Windows assigns IRQ's. You can look in your motherboard manual to find the best location to install the card.

Good luck!