Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
telthenipper

Windows XP doesn' seem to save settings

Hi folks

I've notice an annoying problem win xp. When you resize a window in XP, XP seems to forget the resize and when the resized window is reopen at a later date, it seems that the window defaults back to it's original size and forgets the new setting!

I notice the same thing when I turn the Status Bar on in Windows Explorer or IE. I close the window, go back and have to turn the status bar back on.

this solution has been posted many times though everyone doesnt seem to say it works though it works fine for me.

Open a Window, and when closing the Window DO NOT use the "x" to close it. Instead hold down your ctrl button, and click on the File ----> close menu while holding down control. This will save the window size and position of any explorer window. You can also check the Make All Folders Like this one in the Tools, Folders menu.

I have a similar problem but i can resize some windows but not others, the ones i cant resize are popup windows which i used to be able to resize before, the size is greyed out and the maximize is greyed out, can you offer a solution for this ??

What ThC129 said, reminds me of the old windows 3.1 days of saving current positions/sizes of your windows. I guess this got carried through. 'Tis one of those "undocumented" features that are actually documented, but the eyes kinda glaze over.