Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gambler FEX online

Deus Ex crashes - mouse accelleration is not reset

Deus Ex likes to increase the accelleration level of my mouse it seems, and if it crashes it wont set it back down. I've tried to restart em_exec.exe and change the mouse accellerations settings in mouse properties, but I cant get it back to what I had.

This is important to me because I play quake 3 and am acustomed to one specific accelleration level there, it would take a while to RE-learn a new accelleration level, and then back again maybe.

So how do I get the mouse accelleration level back? Who do Deus Ex mess with it in the first place? (yes im pissed off)

I occaisionally have this with HalfLife. When it dumps me back to the desktop my mouse is super sensitive.

A reboot fixes it and sets my mouse back to normal. I take it this isn't happening for you?

Are you saying you prefer mouse acceleration, but prefer a specific acceleration rate? If so, I suggest trying to eliminate all forms of mouse acceleration. By doing this, X inches worth of movement always equals Y amount of view rotation. Makes it much easier to do a quick 180, or make aim much quicker with better accuracy.

Or maybe you're talking of mouse sensitivity? If you want a specific sensitivity, look in the user.ini file in the ...Deus Ex\System for mousesensitivity (didn't the menu only allow whole numbers?)

As for problems caused in mouse movement after exiting a game, I'd suggest just rebooting or checking to be sure your mouse files are correct and up to date.

When half life drops back to desktop it just enables 'enhance pointer precision' in the mouse properties, which is why it makes it so sentitive, you just need to go into the mouse properties and turn it off, no reboot required. (Under XP anyway).

ConQueso,

I am talking about both, the perfect combination I am adept to.

mouse_properties.gif

(Even thought the accelleration is set to "high," it isnt so much on this mouse)

these settings after a clean install of XP and then mouseware 9.60.

I tried two reboots, one first then I adjusted the mouse acc/sens settings to the picture you see above and tried to reboot again, but still there where no accelleration.

Then I ran through the Logitech Device setup wizard and now it seems to be back to normal as far as I can tell.

With normal sensitivity and normal accelleration (I feel my settings are like that in a resolution of 1152) I can aim good and do 180 turns without moving the mouse to the end of the pad. I have played with no accelleration but I prefer what I use now.

I understand now, you're using a mouse pad, so you're mouse movement is somewhat limited. Early on playing UT, I did away with the mousepad, and haven't gone back. I just had to clean out the mouse more often. With the extra movement space, acceleration became unneccessary, and lack of it proved to increase my accuracy greatly.

Great thing is, with optical mice out, the mouse pad is no longer needed at all. Bad thing is the usual optical mouse can glitch if moved to fast. Solution: MS Intellimouse Optical. 5 buttons, page scroll, and 6,000 scans per second make it one of the best (if not the best) mice out there for FPS games. (If you decide to get one, check the back of the box to be sure it is the newer model, that actually scans at 6,000 images per second (older models don't))

There's no terribly accurate, affordable way to verify specific mouse acceleration levels between different games while in the games themselves. With mouse acceleration off, however, all one needs is a ruler, standardizing a 360 turn to X amount of mouse movement distance, your (nearly) exact mouse settings can be set the same with all FPS games, thereby eliminating the need to "adjust" to different FPS games. So any FPS game played increases ones accuracy for ALL FPS games (well, those set to the standard, of course)