Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbriddon

P4 Temperature

Hi

I have a P4 1.8A and and ASUS P4B266 motherboard. It runs REALLY well but I was wondering what temperature the mobo and processor are supposed to run at.

The mobo is running about 30C and the processor at about 40C.

I tried looking at the Intel website but it can't give a straight answer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christian Briddon

Welcome to the forum's.

P4 CPU's are validated upto 65oC where upon the "speed stepping" will come into place, the clock will continue to slow until the CPU temperature starts to drop.

You are well within specifications on your setup.

Check the forums at www.asusboards.com, they are great when it comes to P4 stuff. Be careful that there is a bug in some default ASUS BIOSes, that *always* show the same temp readings...

ouch! i have a P4 1.7 and a GA-8IRXP and the CPU runs at 60-65 degrees constantly :'(

Ouch!

This is too high, my P4 1.8Ghz (Non-Northwood) sits at around 38oC under idle conditions and usually hits around 45oC under full load.

That is with stock Intel cooling.

What kind of ventilation has your case got or are you relying purely on CPU HSF & PS?

i only have the heat sink that came with it and the Main fan in the case at the back and a small one at the front.

Saying that the case is sold as a P4 compatible case but everything is really crowded.

Someone suggested the heatsink is on the wrong way but i dont see how, it is pluged into the board and attached o the CPU and Retension Mechannisms smile

Yeah thats way to high. Mine runs the same as Blades. with an Intel Stock cooler

Was it a retail CPU you purchased with the Intel HSF or was it an OEM unit with a supplied third party HSF unit?

Actually the first thing I would check is how the HSF is sitting on the CPU.

Example, my old Pentium 3 system, I upgrades the HSF to a copper unit and used some Arctic Silver II compound.

I was expecting temperatures to drop by around 5oC.

I felt the HSF was fitted correctly, it certainly looked that way.

Powered on my PC and I could physically watch the temperature climb, once it hit around 70oC I did an emergency power down.

Removed the motherboard from my case and noticed that the HSF was not sat flat at all, it was only actually making contact with half of the core.

Removed the HSF, cleaned off all the Arctic Silver, re-applied, made damn sure all sat correctly and the results were about a 5oC drop from my original temperatures.

Moral really is that although you may think it isn't possible to fit a HSF incorrectly and although it may look like it is all correct it is extremely easy for it to not be.

I'd check that out first, even in a crowded case I wouldn't expect the temperatures you are getting, I really feel the CPU is simply not getting enough cooling from the HSF.

retail box set dont get me wrong all applications run fine and no crashes ect just abit worried about the high temperature, the fan seems to do 4400 rpm's constantly.

Checked the HSU (man its a pain to get in there :)) seems to be sitting on the CPU ok, cant move it and its locked down good, tried removing and resitting no luck there.

Would a better HSU help?