Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dadecamp

help. can't share internet connection

I've tried everything! I have a small in home network with 2 PC's both running XP pro. The network works fine, both computers can share files and printers but for some reason I cannot connect to the internet from the client pc. It has worked in the past so I know that the hardware will work if set up right.

It started when I moved into a new house. I didn't have a land phone for over a month but once it got hooked up the client can't connect. The host connects fine. The host connection is set up to share the connection. I have ran the set up wizard many times but still, client can’t connect.

Please help.

Nic card are Linksys LNE100TX in both.

Zoom 56k modem

Linksys EFAH08W hub.

Like I said. Everything worked fine before but can’t get it set up correctly now.

confused

Have you set gateway and Primary DNS server to the IP of the machine running ICS?

Here's some vague tips for a vague problem:

Make sure the client pc is set to automatically obtain an ip address and dns server address. Make sure both pc's are in the same workgroup (sounds like they are already, since file sharing is working).

Can the client connect to the internet without going through the host? Double check the IE connection settings. You should be connecting through lan. There should be no dial up or VPN connections configured on the connections tab.

Are you running any firewalls? If so make sure you allow the client through the firewall properly.

I have tried both ways. One, automatically obtain an ip address and dns server address. and two, set gateway and Primary DNS server to the IP of the machine running ICS.

Still won't connect.

There are no dial up or VPN connections configured on the connections tab of the client.

I will check for firewalls. As far as I know, there are not any. How would I know? I am at a different location so I will check later.confused

Ok, on the same tab where you enable ICS, check to make sure the WinXP firewall is NOT enabled. Do this on all the NICs on both computers.

Are you connecting to the internet through the 56k modem? If so, I hope that is the connection you are enabling ICS on, not the NICs.

On the Advanced tab of the Dial-Up connections properties screen, you should have firewall unchecked, ICS checked, the proper home network interface (your lan nic) selected in the drop down box (if available), "establish dial-up whenever a computer on the network attempts to access internet" (on-demand dial) should also be checked.

When you enable ICS, the NIC you select to use on your local LAN will automatically be configured with an ip and subnet mask of 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0. Leave that part alone. The NIC on the client computer should be set to auto obtain ip and dns (DHCP enabled).

Make sure you only enable ICS on the dial up modem connection. And that all firewalls and IP filtering are off.

Well, that almost worked. The modem connection has shared next to the connected, but still not connecting from the clientmad

Any more ideas?

I'm currently having a similar problem, probably not related but worth a shot. After rebooting the host computer stop and restart the ICS Service. Then try the connection from the client computers.

The problem I am having is temporarily fixed by doing this (obviously until the next reboot).

Dan

I guess I'm not following youconfused You are saying to reboot the host, stop the modem while it's trying to connect, restart the connection, then try the client?confusedconfused

frown

What else can it be? I even deleted all the cookies, and internet files from the client to assure they're not causing the problem. The network between the two pc's works great. Real fast comunications, files anf programs are shared. But can't connect to the internet from the client. The only problem is when I run the wizard and it sets the ip addresses to 198-162-0-1, it comes up with a message something like this:

The ip address is assigned to another network device.

The message goes on to say:

The device is not currently installed in the computer but if it is reinstalled at a later time there may be a conflict.

It probably has to do with when I moved the nic card from one PCI slot to another.

The message asks if I want to assign a different address to the current device? I click on no. (this leaves ip address at 198-162-0-1

Suggestion #1: Take a peek in Device Manager to see if you have any NICs in there that you shouldn't, and uninstall them.

I suspect you won't see anything there. What happened is when you moved the card, you probably didn't uninstall it in device manager first, so you've got some rogue registry entries pertaining to the old location of the NIC.

So, try this, assuming suggestion #1 did not work:

1. Disable ICS

2. Open Device Manager and uninstall your NIC.

3. Turn off the computer, and move the NIC back to the old slot.

4. Boot up the computer, wait for any new hardware adjustments.

5. If XP did not auto install the NIC, do so now, then reboot.

6. Open Device Manager and uninstall the NIC again.

7. Turn off the computer, and move the NIC back to where you want it.

8. Boot up and install the NIC.

9. Enable ICS.

Now, after step 5, you could skip to step 9, unless you have a reason to move the NIC to the other PCI slot.

Again, make sure the client computer is set to automatically obtain an IP and DNS, and make sure that you enable ICS only on your Internet connection (the dial-up connection) and not on any of the NICs, and that Windows firewall is disabled on all connections.

I hope this helps, because I'm totally out of ideas after this.

frownfrownfrownfrown

I am about to give up as well!!!!

The sad part is that this worked at one time. Occasionally I will get a problem with the hub. The network will just stop working. I then have to unplug the hub for awhile or move the cable connectors to a different port in the hub and it starts working again. I don't think this has anything to do with the hub, do you?

Now, reminding you from earlier post, all the wiring in this house is brand new. I wired it myself. Does the network use all 8 of the wires in the cat 5e wire? Or, does the network communication take place on some of the wires, and the internet communication on others? Do you see where I'm going with this? Is it possible that one of the wires is not getting a good connection? The male and female plugs are designed to merely pierce the wires insulation which I found to be simplistic and possibly prone to error. Do you think this direction of troubleshooting has merit?

You know your LAN wiring is ok because the 2 pc's can talk to each other fine. Your wiring from the host to the ISP is fine b/c the host can access the Internet.

Check once again on the ICS tab to make sure the right adapter is selected in the drop down box.

Type services.msc in the Run box. Make sure Internet Connection Firewall/Sharing is Started and set to Automatic.

Maybe it's a problem with the client's IE settings.

Connect to your isp, then open a command prompt and ping www.yahoo.com from the client and see if you get a reply.

If you get a reply, then you're getting through, just not with IE.

Do you have a modem on the laptop? Try configuring a dial up connection on that computer and see if that connection works.

If these don't help, take a break from it, uninstall everything and start over again in a couple days.

I was able to ping yahoo from the client. I will now try to install a 33.6k modem to see if I can get it configured. I'll let you know what happens.

It must be a problem with your IE settings then.

Try some other apps to see if they connect, like try up[censored] your clock time, or run AIM or ICQ, or anything that is not dependant on IE's settings.

Try enabling detect proxy settings, but disable it after you use it once (sometimes this can help, not sure why though).

Run the internet connectin wizard again, make sure you are set up to connect through the lan.

Up[censored] the clock was also successful.

This is what I have done with the IE settings:

ran the internet connection wizard.

I even unloaded IE from "remove windows components"

Reinstalled it.

Still no connection. I even tried opera but I could not find a setting in it to connect through a LAN.

Are you trying different websites in IE?

When you ran the wizard, did you pick an always on broadband LAN connection or something like that?

The Connections tab in IE under Tools->Internet Options should have nothing in the dial-up or VPN box at the top. If you see something in that box, delete it. Click setup to run the wizard. Select "Connect to Internet" then "Setup Connection Manually" then "Connect using broadband that is always on" then click finish. Then restart IE.

If it still won't connect, go back to the Connections tab by clicking Tools->Internet Options. Click LAN settings. Everything should be unchecked there. If automatically detect proxy settings is unchecked, then check it and click ok. If it is checked then uncheck it and click ok. Change it to the opposite of whatever it is.

Quote:

If it still won't connect, go back to the Connections tab by clicking Tools->Internet Options. Click LAN settings. Everything should be unchecked there. If automatically detect proxy settings is unchecked, then check it and click ok. If it is checked then uncheck it and click ok. Change it to the opposite of whatever it is.

I have tried this several times.
I tried to go to Yahoo, since I was able to bing to it but it was unsuccessful.
Should I try to reload IE6 again?

I guess so. Go ahead and reinstall it, or pick the repair option or something.

Try using Outlook Express to connect to email or news servers. It uses the settings from IE, but different ports are being used. I want to see if port 80 (http) is blocked for some strange reason. I'm just guessing now.

Or just try Netscape.

Can anyone else help with this?

well, I thought I should let you know that I got it working, but ended up doing a complete reinstall. Re-formated the hard drive and installed xp on the client and it works

laughlaugh

Thanks for your help davros, we tried everything but something must have been wrong with the os.

Thanks again.