Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
one_2_three

Diablo II and some mystery problem.....

When I am playing Diablo 2, randomly, it crashes with the error of:

UNHANDLED_EXCEPTION: Access Violation(c000005)

The things I've tried to correct it are:

1. Everything on Blizzard's tech support, which is:

Uninstall Diablo 2, and remove all of it's registry entries and directories. Run scandisk(full) and defrag, then reinstall.

I've tried turning off AGP Texturing and Direct3D Acceleration, as well as disable my sound card.

None of these as worked. This is under XP, running an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX, AMD Chipset mobo. I have latest Nvidia drivers, as well as latest AGP Miniport and IDE Bus Mastering drivers.

Good god, there has to be a way to fix this. I've also formatted and reinstalled, so it isn't any of that.

Please help if you can.

actually, I have pinpointed it down to resolutions.

When I have my desktop at 800 x 600, it works fine, but when I change it to my usual 1280 x 1024, that's when it starts crashing.

I've tried the drivers that come with XP, as well as 28.32, 23.11, and the 29.?? (don't remember the last 2 numbers) and none of them fix it.

Is there a way to get around THIS sort of problem?

omfg, I really didn't need your help then wink

Figured out under Compatibility, just have it say "run in 640 x 480" and then when I open it, it changes the resolution of the desktop before running the proggy.

weird, i can run it fine, my desktop is on 1268 x, and i don't have to change anything, as diablo changes it's own res when starting., and i can change between 640 x to 800 x in the game with no issues wither.

yeah, I know. It always does this (yes, it still does do it once in a while)

16:19:28.885 ***** UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)

16:19:28.885 Fault address: 7379C1C6 02:000001C6 C:\WINDOWS\System32\DDRAW.dll

I have tried the official Nvidia drivers from their site, as well as the two previously released Nvidia drivers from their site, nothing of them work.

u got any thing special running in your system tray?, by your clock?

try disabling everything beside your clock before starting the game...

This usualy appears when you use MapHack and try to use copy/paste keys (ctrl-c/v). Without it runs fine and smooth smile

I too have those access violations. It always turned out that one of the three images of the game (image of the installation cd not counted)has given up the ghost, thanx to the via bug. Fortunately, it will all be over soon... mad