Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sanchez

Wing Commander 4

I have the DOS version and patched with the WIN95 patch from EA and now when I run I get a popup saying "VirtualProtect() failed." I get that same error using compatibility mode and qfixapp. Any ideas?

Btw, the game runs fine on XP, but I hate XP ;(

EA is notorious for saying..we don't support games on win2k so go away.

But if it runs on XP it should run on 2k...maybe you are missing a compatibility update.

i refuse to believe there are games that will run on XP but not 2000.

grr smile

It's because the compatibility database in XP is much larger than in Win2k...

Here are the fixes that are enabled on my XP machine for WC4:

• [*]HandleAPIExceptions[*]EmulateCDFS[/list:u]Try picking those options in QFixApp - It should fix you right up...

what do you have for wingcommander prophecy!?

waits in anticiption..

smile it is so close to running on win2kpro but i do not know what settings to use to make it run as it should.

(thanks btw: smile

Prophecy has settings for two exe's:

launcher.exe

• [*]EmulateMissingEXE

[*]CorrectFilePaths

[*]IgnoreLoadLibrary

[/list:u]prophecy.exe

• [*]EmulateHeap[/list:u]

Hope that helps!

Oh, by the way, to make changes permanent with qfixapp, click advanced and click "create fix support". That will make a *.sdb file in the %windir%\AppPatch directory. Double click that file to add it to your main database. Also if you backup this file, you can use it to quickly add support for the game on other machines.

hi ya..i don't think i am understanding quite right.

when i use qick fix...it had 53 and 57 fixes checked ...of those, the ones you mentioned were included (except i could find no entry for ignore load library).

So i have tried this before and can only go so far.

Did you mean i should only check the ones you mentioned and uncheck the rest?

ALso, when i do use qfixapp..should i not have also used the win95 compatible option? I tried it both ways with no success.

I can fly in the simulator with no problems...

but in the game i crash out in the first mission or right at the next mission alert. Where i crash in the mission is not the same...at least it crashes back to the desktop and leaves a drwatson log entry.

I mean that you should only check the ones I mentioned. If I were to run the game on my computer, those would be the only ones enabled. But if you don't have the "IgnoreLoadLibrary", then it probably won't work. You say that there are 57 total fixes? The version I have has 199, so I guess you're gonna have to wait for the newest toolkit to be released for Win2k. I found this on MS's site:

Quote:
The Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) is a collection of useful tools and documents that enable both application developers and IT professionals to resolve application compatibility issues. The ACT 2.5 is supported on Windows XP, and will also operate correctly on beta builds of Windows .NET Servers. Support for installing the ACT 2.5 on Windows 2000 will be included in the upcoming release of Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.
My guess is that when ACT 2.5 is installed on Win2k, it will come with all of these fixes we are talking about. Time to start that SP3 rain-dance...

thanks again..i am a bit blind as i do have an ignore load library but i DO NOT have missing exe.

However the total fixes are 130 (to your 199) so i will check if there is an update i can get NOW smile.

in the (qfixapp)log file the last few entries read...

11/23/2001 11:52:46 IgnoreLoadLibrary 3 - APIHook_LoadLibraryA Allow(user32.dll)

11/23/2001 11:52:46 IgnoreLoadLibrary 3 - APIHook_LoadLibraryA Allow(kernel32.dll)

11/23/2001 11:52:46 IgnoreLoadLibrary 3 - APIHook_LoadLibraryA Allow(D3DIM.DLL)

11/23/2001 11:52:46 CorrectFilePaths 1 - GetFileAttributesA corrected path:

.\language.iff

language.iff

11/23/2001 11:52:46 CorrectFilePaths 1 - CreateFileA corrected path:

.\language.iff

language.iff

11/23/2001 11:52:46 IgnoreLoadLibrary 3 - APIHook_LoadLibraryExW Allow(C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\MSH_ZWF.dll)

11/23/2001 11:52:46 IgnoreLoadLibrary 3 - APIHook_LoadLibraryW Allow(C:\WINNT\System32\DINPUT.dll)

11/23/2001 11:52:47 IgnoreLoadLibrary 3 - APIHook_LoadLibraryExW Allow(C:\WINNT\System32\dinput.dll)

11/23/2001 11:52:57 IgnoreLoadLibrary 3 - APIHook_LoadLibraryExW Allow(C:\games\Prophecy\prophecy.exe)

11/23/2001 11:54:17 EmulateDirectDrawSync 1 - [ReleaseMutex] DirectDraw synchronization error - correcting

That last line may be pointing to the problem. WHat does your log say?

Sorry if i'm boring y'all, i just find this stuff fascinating.

oh..and if i may, what settings do you have for need for speed: high stakes. (been trying to get that one to run forever and the advice on this site has not worked for me in this regard.)

Unfortunately, I don't have the game, so I can't do any direct testing for you. Maybe someone else around here can share their results?

I do have Secret Ops lying around here somewhere though, which I believe has the same underlying code. If I can find it I will see what it does...

Well with ACT 1.5 there is no "HandleAPIExceptions" option to check and without it the game does not run in win2k. If I could get ACT 2.5 working on win2k without SP3 then maybe I could get WC4 to work.

The fixes do not come with the ACT's. They are built-in to the .sdb's included with the Application Compatibility fixes. The ACT 2.5 does contain a new Application Compatibility upate but ONLY for Windows XP. So installing ACT 2.5 will not give you your fix in Windows 2000. Porting the fixes would be easy for Microsoft....we'll just have to hope that SP3 contains th fixes.

hey, someone says they can play need for speed: high stakes right outta the box on XP? I do not know if this was post XP compat update?

Can you please tell me what settings were used?

TIA smile

That one is a bit more complicated, so here's a screenshot of all the settings:

highstakes.gif

there are still only 130 fixes.

I installed win2kpro' SP3. I then installed the comp app 2.5 program.

I have new stuff like a compatibility administrator...but i still have only 130 fixes listed in qappfix.

WHY?

Because Microsoft didn't port the fixes in the .sdb's to 2K. Why would they? This would make Windows 2000 users happy which would take Windows XP market away.....

Sigh.

argh..all this time hoping. for naught.

ARGH!!

the next question is...can we just use the qappfix program in XP and make our own custom fixes?