Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Best Media Player for XP?

Depends on the Media, & ppl's preferences. My preferences are:

MP3 - Winamp

watching stuff that's more than just a couple of minutes long, eg stuff I've recorded - Power DVD XP 4

for short video clips or just to preview stuff - the older version of Media Player [mplayer2.exe] as it's basic & loads quicker.

Audio - Winamp

Video - Windows Media Player 8 (although after discovering that mplayer2 has had the capability to do what I like so much about MP8 (fullscreen transport controls) I'm currently in the process of reevaluating this...)

I think I read somewhere that when winamp3 becomes final, one will be able to view videos with it. Now I dont know if it was 'music videos' in some proprietary format, but I assumed they ment avi/mpeg.

O ... and btw the new build of winamp 3 beta is bunk. The playlist buttons have been replaced with the word "GAY" and the buttons no longer work

:P

Normally one doesnt take a step backwards when working on a final project...

I'm a big fan of the MOD PLUG PLAYER, I wish it supported MP3 files. For normal MP3 playing Winamp is lean, and mean. For videos I just use Media Player, but I rarely watch videos.

Hi,

I would be cautious about Winamp,They say there is a serious security breech.

Cheers, Bill. PS. I use Media Player.

Quote:

Hi,
I would be cautious about Winamp,They say there is a serious security breech.
Cheers, Bill. PS. I use Media Player.
You're worried about a security breach - yet you use the MS player? confusedwink

There was a security issue in winamp's minibrowser, and it was fixed in version 2.80...

Audio - Winamp

Video - BestPlayer (but the most of video players need WMP)

I would have to be the odd ball and go with Media Jukebox 7.2. You are able to edit your mp3 tags there, plus it plays the avi's and mpegs pretty good. They have the Beta 8.0 out, its ok...but not as stable as the 7.2.

Alana

Bah!

Coolplayer is much better than Tinamp....

1- It's smaller

2- Uses an .ini file instead of registry settings

3- Has a better implementation of MAD ( which already comes with the proggie)

4- Uses less resources

5- No bloat....It's not a multi-crap player...it's an mp3 player, and a good one at that

6- Sounds better...

Coolplayer 2.04

Quote:

2- Uses an .ini file instead of registry settings

Config files are only good when they're created in the users home directory like nearly all Linux programs do...