Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ITwanabe

UT wont run with GeForce 4Ti4600 & WinXP

Howdy,

Abit M/B w/BX chipset & PIII 600 ran fine with Viper TNT Ultra and Win. XP, bought a MSI 8872 GeForce 4 Ti4600 and now UT won't run. Get big blotchy graphics, what I do see runs way slower than TNT.

Tried 16 Bit, Tried 32 bit, tried 640x420, tried 1600x1200 newest Nividia drivers, older drivers nothing seems to work for UT. Everything else like Metal of Honor works ok. Even dumped UT & re-installed it, no way hose A.

If any one had this trouble and found a cure please let me know.

Da Duke

frown

When you reinstalled UT, did you delete your UT directory afterward?, you might have some configuration files which would be more optimized for TNT. When you uninstall UT it leaves the config files alone sometimes, and then when you reinstall and load up again the config files are already there again. Try installing to a different directory like C:\Ut or whatever else instead of the default path. Try running the game in OpenGL and also try patching to the latest version if you haven't done so yet.

Thanks Pmistry,

This is for a friend of mine and I will relay your idea's about the config files to him. That may make the difference.

I also listed the wrong chipset. He has a Abit VT6x4 133 which has a Via VT82C694X chipset not the BX like I thought originally. He has the latest UT patch 436 and also tried to run it in Open GL without any success.

I told him to just break down and get a new M/B, CPU and Memory.

If anything else comes to mind I will be appreciative if you let me know.

Thanx Again

Try using OpenGL as the api,not DirectX....worked for me...Good Luck.

Hammer

OpenGL is so much better for UT than D3D, its amazing. Checkout www.geforcefaq.com and look at the section that says something like 'how can i get UT to run faster on my geforce' or 'how can i use the S3TC textures on the 2nd CD with my geforce'.

If you look at those bits it gives you an alternative opengl renderer you can download. Give it a go and also try the s3tc textures as they make it look amazing laugh

Yup,you are correct sir!

I'm using the S3TC Textures from the 2nd cd of UT game of year edition,and it does look REALLY nice.Even the "beta" OpenGL drivers that come with UT should work fine for you. Go to UT display adapter setup before you run the game and choose OpenGL.

Hammer

Keep in mind that if UT gets beyond 150fps or so, it can increase the speed (as in velocity, not framerate) of players/bots/projectiles. This poses more of an issue with multiplayer, though. Because of it, I run in D3D to keep things fair. Also, OpenGL takes more of a performance hit (relatively speaking) when Direct Lighting is enabled.

I've heard the 436 build of the Unreal engine is where openGL support ends. So don't expect it on U2/UT2003.

Yeah i cant beleve there is no openGL support in U2/UT2003, personally i think it should be OpenGl only but then thats just me smile

Check out the Unofficial Pre-release Unreal 2 FAQ section 3.1 question 5. Or, just read the whole FAQ. Interesting stuff if you're a UT fan, or a fan of one of the MANY games which will use the Unreal Engine. (the next 3 Tom Clancy based games will use the new Unreal Engine)

Ah yes, Deus Ex 2 will use that brand spanking new Unreal engine. man I can't fuc$king wait for this title.

Well it is gameplay wise, but i prefer the overall look of q3 based games.

Quote:

... (the next 3 Tom Clancy based games will use the new Unreal Engine)

My bad, TSOAF uses the Ghost Recon engine, not the Unreal Engine.

Thank You everyone,

I posted "UT won't run..." for a friend of mine, all the while pushing him to get a new system. He finally broke down and we are putting up a rig consisting of Athlon XP2100 and a MSI KT333 board (non raid) to mate with his GF4 Ti4600 so by Friday he should be in UT heaven. Thanks a bunch for your replies and other than trying Open GL I don't believe he experimented with your responses (Open GL didn't make a difference).

Sincerely,

ITwanabe