Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ajm786

New system? Maybe....

Ok guys. I have been thinking about upgrading my system. My current rig has become too slow, well, sort of. I wanna get a P4 1.6 Northwood and probably a better video card.

You could take a look at my system specs below. Before we delve into anything, let me ask: Is it possible to get a P4 1.6 Northwood and overclock it to 133FSB using my current mainboard? Or what is the max overclock I can do to that processor using my current board?

Otherwise, I would appreciate any suggestion of a motherboard that can overclock the 1.6 Northwood to 2.3 or higher. Also, please advise on the best type of DDR.

Thanks.

I hope you are not expecting to see true wonders speedwise when you upgrade from a P4 1.5 Ghz @ 1.724 Ghz to a P4 1.6 Ghz @????

H.

But yeah.

If I can overclock the 1.6A to, like, 2.xxx, of course I would see a good performance increase, not night and day though.

Depends on what you do with your PC, but my guess is that you're in for a disappointment. Word, Excel & Max Payne is not going to be any faster, but benchmarks will be.

I do understand you though, I just tried to give some friendly words of warning ...

H.

Hmm, man in your place I would wait a couple of months. Then u can couple the new Northwoods B (133FSB) with the i850G (i think). It offers 1066MHz Dualchannel Rambus support smile That is more than 4 GB/sec memory bandwidth...

Just the double amount of 2nd level cache (512k on Northwood, 256k on your current CPU) will make a nice difference.

Then of course the Northwood's can alo be nicely overclocked.

I'm not an overclocker myself, so personally I'm waiting for the Northwood B CPU's and will initially hopefully be running it in my ASUS P4T-E (I know my Samsung RDRAM will happily run on a 133Mhz FSB).

Might be worth waiting a little while, once the Northwood B's are available en mass the Northwood A's will drop nicely in price.

Quote:

Just the double amount of 2nd level cache (512k on Northwood, 256k on your current CPU) will make a nice difference.
Then of course the Northwood's can alo be nicely overclocked.

I'm not an overclocker myself, so personally I'm waiting for the Northwood B CPU's and will initially hopefully be running it in my ASUS P4T-E (I know my Samsung RDRAM will happily run on a 133Mhz FSB).
Might be worth waiting a little while, once the Northwood B's are available en mass the Northwood A's will drop nicely in price.

??!???!???!?!?!!!

So are you saying that I would be able to overclock to 133FSB using my Asus P4T-E?

Well, lets put it this way.

There are plenty of people out there using ASUS P4T-E's with Northwood A CPU's and are running them with a FSB of 133Mhz - overclocking.

So from that front there is no reason at all why you shouldn't be able to run a Northwood B at it's designed FSB (133Mhz) setting in this board.

Memory might be a problem, the Samsung modules from anything up to a year ago are proving to be very good overclockers too.

So what you would end up with is:

850E Chipset (Designed for 100Mhz, all reports say very stable at 133Mhz)

PC800 RDRAM (Designed for 100/400Mhz, plenty of reports to say very stable at 133/533Mhz)

Northwood B (Designed for 133/533Mhz, that is what you'll be running it at).

Do you mean by BIOS overclocking (Jumperless) or jumper overclocking?

Not using Ultra-160-320 scsi yet, you could have a Intel/Amd 6-gig quad processor motherboard, but you'll still be waiting on that old harddrive to access your OS. What is the use of bragging about your old parts to build a system.

Wait til the end of the month when INTel releases new chipsets and motherboards that run at 533mhz

Do you mean by BIOS overclocking (Jumperless) or jumper overclocking?

Pop over to www.asusboards.com and have a read through the forum's there.

For some reason ASUS decided to not put certain BIOS settings in the jumperless mode, but you have the old options from the P4T motherboard via the jumper block.

The Asus boards site will also tell you the name of the clock generator you should have on the board to maximise the chance of successful clocking.