Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
telthenipper

How do I reinstall DX in XP

Hi folks, can you please help me?

I seem to be suffering crashes while playing some games. It blue screens blaming dx.sys. I was wondering if a reinstallation of DX would help? But how do you reinstall DX of the Windows XP Pro Cdrom?

Please share the wisdom.

thanks guys

Tel

Go to Microsofts site and look for it there it should say DirectX for Windows 2000/XP download that. But its risky.....

or

u could re-install XP laugh

Good Luck!!

I'm afraid you wont find a download of DirectX that will run under WinXP because WinXP already contains the very latest version.

As DirectX 9 is a long way off if you feel that you need to reinstall DirectX under WinXP you are looking at an OS reinstall I'm afraid.

It's a long shot but you could try replacing the DX files from the CD. It would also help if you posted your machine stats and driver versions so we could see if there was a possible driver incompatibilty

thanks guys for the info, but how do i reinstall winxp without doing a fresh install? I've tried to reinstall windows xp and it doesn't seem to give you the option. It asks do you want to delete the current window directory. at this stage I normally quit because if I delete my current window directory, it'll be like doing a clean install and my settings and installed programs will be lost.

Am I wrong? Before getting windows XP, I was a WIN 98 user and Win XP seems alot different. I know the above question seems stupid, but I'm quite new to XP and am not as familiar with it as I am with win 98. BTW my system spec is:

Athon T/B 1200@1300 (200Mhz), KT7A Raid Mobo ,TaiSol CGK760092 HSF, 256MB SD 133Mhz Ram, G/F 2 GTS 32MB Gfx Card, 2x 20GB HDD, 2x40 GB HDD,DVD Drive, CDRW Drive, 300W PSU, Chieftec Blue Dragon Case.

I'm not quite sure how I post details of my current drivers.

Please can somebody help me with the above points?

Thanks in advance

TEL

Boot with your XP cd, then select install, then select repair.

cool thanks for the info i'll try that.

I know my questions sound lame but if you don't ask you don't learn.

thanks guys for your prombt replies and guidance.

TEL

Hi me again

I tried to reistall XP using the repair option, but all i get after choosing C:\windows is a command prompt and that's it. Please can somebody explain in laymans terms what i do next?

Regarding reinstalling windows.

Many thanks for your time and patience

Tel

Don't hit R to repair, that just brings you to the recovery console. Initially you need to hit Enter to install, pick a partition, then it will notice you have windows on that partition already and it will ask if you want to repair it.

Oh, and make sure you DON'T format the partition!