Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Poxnor

Two Odd Crashes

Hello guys,

I am running Windows XP on my system, and all is going more-or-less well, except for two "problem spots" if you will. There are two things that consistently cause crashes on my system. I was hoping that maybe someone may be able to help pinpoint a cause or solution to either of these problems smile

I've included my system specs at the bottom of this message.

-----------------------------------

Problem 1: The Kazaa-Explorer Crash

-----------------------------------

Problem 1 is as follows: Whenever I am running Kazaa, regardless of whether the window is opened, minimized, or even iconized by the clock in my task bar, problems ensue. If I so much as type a single letter of text in an open explorer window (ie. when I type in a web address to go to, or even if I type anything in the address field on my taskbar), the explorer window immediately crashes.

I tried installing the Windows Update application compatibility patch which promised to resolve problems with Kazaa, but to no avail.

If anyone has experience similar problems, and has any idea how to deal with it, your time for a response would be greatly appreciated smile

(Thankfully, this problem isn't major, because I can always just close Kazaa when I want to type something in an explorer window, but that can be a pain, and sometimes I forget...I ran Windows 2000 Professional for a while, and I never had any problems of this sort with Kazaa).

------------------------------

Problem 2: The Patch From Heck

------------------------------

Alright, the second concern I am facing has to do with a patch released a while ago on Windows Update. It is the hotfix that supposedly resolves the "Your system has recovered from a serious error" message on reboot (From hereon, I'll just refer to it as "the patch")

Problem is, that patch and my nVidia detonator driver do not seem to get along.

(I know that sounds stupid, but it seems that those two entities hate each other or something, hehe).

Here goes:

When the patch first came out, I was running Det 23.11. I installed that little patch, rebooted, and everything seemed alright. That was, until the first time I tried to play any of my games (Worms World Party, Final Fantasy VIII, etc). I would get an immediate reboot as soon as the game started (as in, right after I clicked on the icon to start it). Figuring this was a blue-screen error, I turned off the auto-reboot option, and sure enough, a blue screen error it was.

I apologize, but I did not have the sense to write it down. If anyone needs to know what it is, just post a message for me, and I'll replicate the problem and write it down this time.

So, I uninstalled the patch, and everything worked just fine again.

Then, the current dets (28.32) came out. So, I installed those dets, and decided, "Hey, let's give the patch a try again"

So, I installed the patch again; but this time, the results were even worse. I'd get a blue screen right at WinXP startup (at about the point where the black screen with the blue scrolly thing disappears and the logon screen would appear). So, I went into safe mode, and decided to try a little experiment.

In safe mode, I uninstalled my dets, and set my video driver to be just the default driver that comes with Windows XP. I rebooted, and everything worked fine.

So, in the end, I wound up uninstalling the patch and reinstalling my 28.32 det, cause the standard Windows driver is icky, hehe.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced similar problems, or if the knew a solution.

Thank you very much for helping me look into these problems. Your time is greatly appreciated smile

------------

System Specs

------------

Athlon 1.4 GHz, on Asus A7M266

256 Meg DDR Ram

Asus GeForce 3 Ti500 (w/TV out)

Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Dolby Digital

Pioneer DVD Rom

Plextor Plexwriter CD-Writer

Panasonic E70 monitor

If anyone needs any more information, please do not hesitate to ask for it.

As I've said, and I truly mean it, your effort (in even reading through this entire question, hehe) is something that I am very thankful for smile

--Poxnor

Heyo guys,

I figured out the solution to one of my problems -- the Kazaa crash.

I simply installed KazaaLite in place of Kazaa, after uninstalling Kazaa then running Ad-aware to remove those foul adware thingies.

Has anyone thought of anything about the hotfix-invoked crash?

Thanks guys smile

i dont know about the hot-fix crash, but i have heard of the problem with Kazaa, which sucks anyway get audiogalaxy or winMX. Kazaa is very much full of spyware, that is why kazaa lite is nice. I would see i couldnt report the error involved with your hotfix to M$, maybe with some luck they can get it fixed in time for WinXP SE.

Thank you for your reply smile

Sorry I took so long to reply -- I've been away for a while.

Do you know where I would be able to report the problem with the hotfix? I don't get a nice little dialogue box asking me if I want to submit an error report when I reboot after the blue-screen.

Thanks for your help!

--Poxnor