Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Hard drive problems. In URGENT need of help (if at all possi

Yes, this is from the same idiot who recently fried his processor, so lets get over that... LOL

Now my hard drive (a 27.9GB formatted one) has just crapped up on me. Its file system is now corrupt, and I have 14GB worth of Mp3s on it that I don't have access too frownfrownfrown

I was wondering if any of you can help me with recovering the hard drive (if at all possible). This is the situation:

Windows Picks up the drive, assigns it a drive letter, and recognizes it as a 27.9GB NTFS formatted drive (in Windows Management console). It says "27.9GB partition Healthy (active)"

If i try to take a look at the drive windows complains about the drive volume label/file system being corrupt and that it can't access that drive.

NOTE: The drive is formatted as NTFS, and I'm running Windows 2000 Advanced Server! It would not let me install Norton Utilities 2002 or Partition Magic 7.0 since I'm running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

Note, I'm also running SuSE Linux Professional 7.3. I don't know if that helps any, but its another OS that i'm running.

So to keep the story short, I have two hard drives, one is a 13Gb drive (12.09 maximum formatted capacity) set up as such:

6 GB NTFS Windows

5.5GB Linux root (ext3)

440MB - Linux Swap

64MB - Linux Boot

The other hard drive is a 30GB drive (27.9GB maximum formatted capacity) set up as such:

27.9 GB - NTFS (MP3 hard drive)

I need help folks. I am not as worried about the drive failing as much as losing my great MP3 collection it took me 3 years to build up. I have made VERY OLD and primitive backups with my CDRW drive, but there is at LEAST 2 GB worth of mp3s on there I did not get a chance to ack up (as I was about to sort through them).

Can anyone help?

NOTE: Does anyone know of a decent NTFS repair utility I cna use? CHKDSK did not work, it says it can't access the drive.

Let me know if you need more information. I would take screen captures but I'm running linux at the moment, so let me know if you need more information and I'll boot up windows and try again frown

Partition Magic 7 won't help much because it doesnt recognize Ext3! Can you see the NTFS partition mounted from Linux?

Maybe a long shot, but can you ghost the drive? If you can make a ghost image. Reformat the drive and split the drive into 2 13GB partions. Then ghost back to one of the partions.

This has worked for me before.