Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyKillerMan

VMWare Tools

Does anyone know where to download VMWare Tools for VMWare. It continually hassles me about loading it to make the guest OS run faster and enable advanced graphics. At vmwares website's download section, there is only VMWare tools for 1.x and FreeBSD Guest Operating Systems only. I grabbed VMware 3, build 1455 from the website and I cant seem to find anything that will acomplish this.

Is there somewhere I can find these files or does vmware limit trial to NOT have VMWare tools installed?

IIRC (and I'm not sure I do, it's been ages since I used VMWare...) the VMWare tools should be somewhere in the installation folder.

as far as my memory goes you somehow mount an cd image of the vmware tools in the guest os and install them from there.

it was really easy to do (and no downloads), but i can't remember the exact procedure-try clicking that link in the status bar maybe

Yeah, with all recent builds of VMWare, you just click the link in the status bar after the guest OS has booted and it does it all for you.

see...thats what I do...then the lnk goes away and what not. But then when I roll into the menu, where it said "Install VMware Tools" it now says "Cancel VMWare tools install" and thats it. Next time I start the server, it doesnt have the tools loaded.

What guest OS are you trying to run?

Also when you click the installl VMware tools, it actually loads a cd iso that has the tools on it. In most cases the ISO autorun should start. If not have a look on the VMs cd drive.

Quote:
What guest OS are you trying to run?

Linux - Mandrake 8.2 to be exact.

Quote:
Also when you click the installl VMware tools, it actually loads a cd iso that has the tools on it. In most cases the ISO autorun should start. If not have a look on the VMs cd drive.

I dont have the ISO, as I said, I just downloaded the package and I wanna try it out with vmware tools before I buy it.

I'd assume they'd give you the VMware tools with the trial. Anyways try this:

1. Instal Linux

2. Click the Install VMware tools

3. In the Help file there is a set of commands that must be entered to install the tools (you'll need to goto the files cos I don't know anything bout Linux).

If that doesn't work, try contacting the VMware people for more information

Thnx guys

Much appreciated the quick responses!

Ill try it out when I get home.

Ill drop a line sunday prolly and see how it goes.