Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Serville2002

Hibernation Problem

Does hibernation in XP depend on ACPI ? Can it work without ACPI enabled ?

As far as I understand, unlike Standby (S3), hibernation does not have compatibility issue with video driver, because everything is simply saved to hd, and restored to the original memory location when powered on. So,it doesn't need any special feature in the video driver for it to work correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason I ask is because my friend's BX board with Banshee AGP doesn't wake up after hibernation. The video driver is original XP.

Fyi, ACPI is turned off in this system, but APM is turned on in Bios.

So unless the Banshee driver from Microsoft is not compatible for hibernation (unlikely), the only culprit I suspect is ACPI disabled. Other than that, I can't understand why it fails.

Never thought of it that way, but yes, I believe ACPI is a prerequisite for hibernation, at least in practice. MS knowledge base is likely to answer that question if you care to search it.

Does your friends box have the hibernation tab when right clicking desktop then select properties, screen saver, power? Does a file called hiberfil.sys appear in the root of the system drive ?

Somewhere at MS site there used to be (years ago) a utility called HiberTest.EXE which could, in the usual confusing MS way, give some hints on what the obstacle to hib was.

H.

Talking of hibernation, anyone have any ideas why my system has started displaying the login screen that you would normally get if you told XP to log off when I come back from Hibernate or Standby? Doesn't do it when I just restart or do a cold boot. I don't have any user accounts BTW, just the original administrator account that's been renamed [which shouldn't cause probs, as I did that ages before this prob started].

Yeah, it seems hibernation is dependant on ACPI as well. At least some people seems to agree. Maybe that's the reason why it fails with my friend's BX board because I turned it off.

Alien,

You can turn off the log-in screen after hibernation in ControlPanel/Display/Screensaver/Power/Advanced

Uncheck the option "Ask for Password when....."

Quote:

Alien,
You can turn off the log-in screen after hibernation in ControlPanel/Display/Screensaver/Power/Advanced
Uncheck the option "Ask for Password when....."
DO'H!!! I knew I'd forgotten something! shocked

However.....

Mine is ACPI compliant yet on restoring from hibernation it goes to a black screen. Has done this whatever vid drivers I've used. I believe it is down to my monitor, a iiyama pro400.....

Chris