Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
riz

tv tuner & sb live 5.1 line in probs

Hey all,

I've got a strange problem with my SB Live 5.1 sound card.

I just bought a ATI TV Wonder VE TV Tuner card and put in my computer. The first PCI slot I put it in didn't let it work (resource conflict) but then second slot i tried worked fine. The audio out of the tv-tuner card goes to the line-in of the sound blaster live.

Now, when I use ATI's program to play the movies, i get all kinds of video problems (scambled video, etc.). The second program i tried (shareware WinDVR) works amazingly and the sound is great. But if I quit the program and restart it, I get no sound from Line-in. I've gone into the mixer and muted/unmuted everything, and I've tried setting the recording devices to all possible : I JUST WON'T GET ANYTHING FROM LINE-IN!

If I restart the computer, then the audio works fine. That is, unless I close the program and restart it. I thought it was problem with the software until i realized that another program, VirtualDub v1.4, does the same thing. if i turn on video capture preview, turn it off and on again, then i get no audio.

Is this a problem with the sound card? and if so, is there a workaround for it?

Thanks a million,

Riz

My specs:

WinXP Pro running on P3-700 w/512Mb SDRAM

SBLive! Value 5.1

Linksys NIC

ATI TV Wonder VE TV Tuner

GeForce 256 w/32Mb SDRAM

40GB & 30GB WD UDMA66 HD

It seems that you have two video cards installed. I am presuming that the GeForce is an AGP card. My first observation is that it is not easy getting the AGP and PCI video cards to play together. Whichever one you set up in BIOS as the default will often take over after a reset, BUT sometimes the machine will default to AGP just to spite you.

What I would suggest, because I am lazy, is go to your device manager and see if there are any conflicts. If there are none,

Then see if the dual monitor setup is correct. See if you have two, three or four monitors and what drivers each one uses. I suspect that this is where part of the problem stems from. I thing that the ATI already support dual monitors by itself and the GeForce would make three monitors your system could support.

Take out the GeForce (what a headache this is going to be). Use only the ATI card connected, see if the problem persists. If so, remove the Nvidia software and drivers. Reinstall the ATI (if you think you need to). If the problem clears up, you know that there is not a problem with the Audio.

I didn't go into the Audio setup from ATI because it seemed that you went through several iterations with no success.

No, the ATI TV Wonder is not a video card, it's a standalone TV Tuner Card. It sounds the same as the ATI All-in-Wonder, which is there combo video/tv tuner card, but its actually the ATI TV Wonder VE which is the "Value Edition" of their standalone TV Tuner card.

riz

Understand now. Is there a cable bridge between the ATI and the GeForce? And, did you look in the hardware device manager to see if there are any conflicts? Could you also see what IRQ's are shared between the sound card, the ATI card and the GeForce or how they are shared? It's the standard operating procedure stuff.

no, the only bridge between the card is to the sound card, which is regular headphone jack (audio-out) to the creative sb live (line-in).

Other than that, there are no resource conflicts in the program, but i noticed that the tv wonder uses the same irq as my hard drive controller.

thanks for your help though!

rizwan

Apparently, this card does have some difficulties on some systems especially with XP. The card should not be sharing an IRQ with the hard drive. You may have to shift some of your cards around or if you can through the bios assign it an IRQ other than the hard drives.

There is a download from ATI specifically for XP: MMC_7_1_TVWONDER.exe

however some find that Cyberlink PowerDirector for capture and editing is superior.

I have found some registry edits, but look at these issues first.

As of date, ATI has informed me that the TV Wonder VE is not compatible with XP. I have tried on numerous attempts to get the card to work with my machine to no avail. I can get sound, but no video. I also have no conflicts. If anyone has a workaround, lemme know.

hey, as for the sound but no video problem, i fixed that by moving the ATI card to a different slot. Before it was sharing IRQs with another device, adn that is why the video was not coming up. I moved it to a slot where now it is sharing with the UDMA hard drive controller, and now i get video and sound.

However, as to the card's compatibility with XP, this card sucks, which brings me to the next question:

Is the Creative Video Blaster Digital VCR any good? I found it for $85 online, and I'm thinking I should send the ATI card packin' and go and buy that.

regards,

riz

PS: I should've known better about buying something from ATI, hehe frown

Quote:

PS: I should've known better about buying something from ATI, hehe frown
Speak for yourself smile My Radeon 64MB DDR ViVo works nicely as a substitute for a VCR - even @ DVD resolution. Ok, so I had probs with my previous mobo, but I think that was the mobo @ fault, not the Radeon.