Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Your first Internet surf, when and how was it?

I remember being on the BBSs and some of them would have text internet and Gopher. This was back in 1990, or earlier, i think. I was on AOL since 1.0 (still have the floppy disk today)connecting @ 2400bps. Most web pages took like a day to load and were virtually all text. AOL still sucked back then!:D

First online experience?

Back in 1990. Just moved to Okinawa,Japan and my parent's bought a brand spankin' new Packard Bell 286@12mhz. Had a 2400b modem. 1meg System Ram. 256k Vram. 15" monitor. No Mouse. MSDOS 4.0. Anyways I disocvered tons of neat BBS'S that I could connect to all day and download away! Didn't discover the wonders of ZMODEM until one day I was wondering what the different download protocols in the QMODEM software did. So I tried ZMODEM while download and it actually resumed! 8) 8) This of course changed things drastically. I remember one day when I was looking at that 5mg (I think) download of Doom when it first came out and thinking THAT'S GOING TO TAKE ME FOREVER! AAAAAAAAARRRGGGHH! Luckily I went up to the exchange and saw the computer operator at the Exchange playing it so I played against him and he gave me a copy. smile Unfortunately Doom could not run on a 286 so I resorted to bypassing the Exchange's computers password security, installing Doom on school computers, and annoying friends by playing it on their computers!

Tradewars kicked arse and still does. LOTRD really kicked *** and still does.

Didn't really get into the Internet until I got back to the states in 94/95 which is of course when the 'net started to kick off major. Cruised the net with 14.4 with that one Internet Service...dangit forgot the name..GNN? ehhh..doesn't sound right I think they were bought my MSN or something. Anyways since I was so young I'd use up the free time on AOL accounts or use my friends Internet Accounts who had multiple user logon enabled. Got a little bit back into the BBS scene when I got back to the states but access to the Internet quickly phased it out. frown

First time was at a friends houst in 1987. We were both 15. We had been drinking his moms rum while she was away, and one thing led to another...

Actually all we did was spend hours on the bbs trying to download stuff. I remember it took like an hour to get one "digitized" picture (usually p0rn or fighter jets for us then.) Then we would print it out on the dot matrix and pin it to the wall and stare at it in awe! It was horrible.

No way man i'm too young here!!, my first one was almost yesterday in comparison with yours, i'm talking about 1998 or '97 frown

Boy thoses where good old command line this command line that hehehehe.

Well, I remember using a BBS on my trusty old Commodore 64, it was UK-based, but I can't remember what it was called! Used to take half an hour to upload 50k files... 8)

Then, in the late 80s, early 90s, lots of Internet-based kermit and ftp downloads, lots of browsing newsgroups - all from the University network - connected to the Internet via JANET.

Then around 93-94 the Internet. I remember my first taste of the web was via a text-based browser (Lynx?) - and I was thinking "what's all the fuss about?!". Then, of course, I discovered Mosaic/Netscape (wasn't so much Nutscrape in those days!), and I haven't looked back since.

Man, this thread is making me feel old... 8)

AndyF

Quote:
Well, I remember using a BBS on my trusty old Commodore 64, it was UK-based, but I can't remember what it was called! Used to take half an hour to upload 50k files... 8)

Then, in the late 80s, early 90s, lots of Internet-based kermit and ftp downloads, lots of browsing newsgroups - all from the University network - connected to the Internet via JANET.

Then around 93-94 the Internet. I remember my first taste of the web was via a text-based browser (Lynx?) - and I was thinking "what's all the fuss about?!". Then, of course, I discovered Mosaic/Netscape (wasn't so much Nutscrape in those days!), and I haven't looked back since.

Man, this thread is making me feel old... 8)

AndyF

LOL...I use lynx fairly often. Still comes with most distros.

I dialup into my university network. Its behind da firewall so the only way I can get out is with lynx

Anyway, my first was with prodigy on a 486. It was graphical but did not have the WWW. It was like only being able to go to one website.

Quote:
Quote:
LOL...I use lynx fairly often. Still comes with most distros.

I have a Lynx for Win32 port here + PINE mail for Win32 as well!

* Both character mode versions of the originals, perfect copies in fact!

smile

(I even have Ws-Gopher 32 here as well, but I don't think there are many GOPHER servers out there anymore... I also have Ws-Archie for file searches, & occasionally even do FTP still using SmartFTP!)

APK

P.S.=> SHS-> Why the 'old character mode' stuff from UNIX ports on Win32? For my brother, he is a UNIX person basically... In fact, I have MANY of the UNIX commandline programs here in Win32 port form as well for him online integrated into my XP Operating System in case he comes over etc. apk

After I got used to UNIX, I couldn't do anything at the DOS prompt anymore (not that there's a whole lot that can be done.) I put cygwin on mysystem and am now a happy camper!