Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
truper

XP cannot 'find' CD-ROM ?

Hi:

I have a dual-boot system . . Windows 98 and XP Pro. They actually co-exist quite well with only an occassional glitch that can normally be fixed or eliminated.

However, XP will not recognize my CD-ROM or my Burner. Both devices work fine in Windows 98. XP will tell me that it has attempted to install these devices but is 'unable to find' them. Following the unsuccessful installation of the devices, it cites a Code 41 . . and I don't have a clue as to what this code is or means.

The other day, I got hold of a MS support technician and was on the phone for a half hour with him. He had me make several changes in the registry most of which were deletions. I really don't know why we were doing this . . . I was simply following his instructions. However, when we finished, XP did finally recognize both devices and they were working fine. But this lasted only until the next time I started up the machine and once again, neither device would work. They are both shown in the device manager and highlighted in yellow meaning that the devices are present but are not functioning correctly.

My burner is an external USB connected unit (Hewlitt Packer) and my CD-ROM is an internal Toshiba unit.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, etc, etc would be really appreciated. Right now I'm lost and can't think of anything else to try.

Jim

This is what Microsoft support reports:

Code41

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

OSunds like an IRQ issue. Try pulling everything from the system. Then reseting the bios, make sure you reset the hardware config in the bios, so it resets the assigned IRQs

I had an issue that sounds like what you're going through.

Wolf87 sent this to me and it worked.

Access Registry and delete LowerFilters and UpperFilters here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr

ol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

This is the Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314060

This was my old thread, which seemed relevant.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=20181

Hope this helps,

~NT_Worker

Double check that USB is enabled in the bios while you're at it. And try new ASPI drivers from Adaptec. BTW, would you happen to have Roxio ECDC installed?

Since you have not posted back, I am presuming that you are still having issues. H-P software used to install a SCSI device driver with their CD burners. Look in your Hardware manager and see if it is there. This would interfere with some DVD players making them unplayable. Removing this device from within the hardware manager allowed the DVD to be seen and did nothing to impede the burner.