Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
markjs

Can you network a 98 machine to an XP one?

I spent several hours trying, and thought it to be impossible (I have successfully set up 98 to 2k, 98 to ME etc. and XP to XP networks with no problems) after many hours of headache, frustration and zero progress. Is it possible? If so how?

It's definately possible, I do it right now. My first guess would be that you haven't created the user account and access needed. Log on a user on the W98 one, and create a corresponding user account on the XP one. Share something on the W98 one.

Can you ping the machines from eachother ? Are you on static IP's or using DHCP?

H.

Well I actually got so sick of 98 (for this reason on top of the fact that it has become a crash festival for me) that I installed XP so I have no 98 machine myself, but I wanted to know for future reference. I did set up the accounts and I tried both DCHP and static, and I could never even ping the machines. It was a 2 PC lan on crossover cable with cheap 10/100 linksys "Network Anywhere" cards, and I think it could be a possible driver issue, because I know how to set up a peer to peer network and I just could not do it. Anyway, its nice to know its possible...seemed insane and stupid to me that it didnt seem possible to me.

I have had the same problem, don't feel bad. I used WinRoute and I could ping my internal IP address but not my external one. I think it is a problem with Winblows 98 not liking XP.

I was surprised when i cud see NTFS drives on the XP comp downstairs when using WinME on the network.

I have succesfully networked an ME with my XP. I created user accounts with blank passwords on both machines. I also switched on the guest account at the XP. The XP has to be the host computer. Furthermore, you need to give sharing rights to the documents and files you want to be able to access on both machines. Just right click on the folders like "My Documents" for example and fiddle with the sharing rights. These can have passwords to open up in the network. It won't affect your networking. Also switch off the firewall on the XP and Zone Alarm firewall if you've got it. Zonealarm blocks any machine that tries to log on to your machine. Also, don't have dynamic addresses for your machines. Go to control panel on the 98 machine then click on networks. Then click on Configuration. Then Scroll down and click on any of the TCP/IP lines. Then click on IP address.

Fill in any number you want. The point is to givew a permanent number which the hosting XP can pinpoint. For the subnet mask, I would suggest 255.255.255.0

Then do the same for the XP machine . Then go the MSDOS mode and try to ping your 98 machine's static IP address from your XP. It should work.

email me if you have any questions. Right now I'm to figure out how to share my XP's modem with the ME.

adios,

Wame

If you're using a hub for you network then you should assign static IPs like what infoman suggests. I am using a router so I use dynamic IPs. At first I couldn't see my Win98 shared folder from Win XP Pro then I figure out that I didn't change the workgroup name on the XP machine and that was the problem.

I have a Windows 98 Second Edition computer I haven't updated to Windows XP that can connect to a Windows XP machine (the primary machine for me).

I don't use a switch, I don't internet connection share. Both computers are stand alones (clients, no host, no server).

I connect via netbios. If you notice in XP they don't install that driver. If you want to be able to connect an XP and 98 machine via a hub you need to install the netbios driver on the xp cd.

Go to the valueadd/msfg/inet/netbeui, then copy that inf file to the inf directorym, the nbf.sys to the system32 folder. Then go to network, properties, add drivers/protocol, netbeui. That is it. You should now be able to connect you win98 and xp machine.

Of course make sure you take precautions to safeguard the network as I don't list that information here. It seems like everyone has their own way of doing things and in some cases is unique to your machine and its software.

hope this helps.

Saber

You don't need netbios for anything at all, and definately not to connect a W98 to a XP machine. TCP/IP does that just fine.

H.