Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

STOP errors maybe related to faulty cache memory? NEED HELP

I dunno about a Delta, but the 5600rpm 50x60x10mm Dynaeon fan that came as part of the HSF that AMD bundle with the XP1900+ [retail version] makes a fair bit of noise. I've been thinking about getting 1 of those 60 to 80mm adapters so that I could stick an 80mm fan on there that wouldn't make so much noise, but I haven't made my mind up yet.

I think perhaps 1 of the reasons that my HSF makes so much noise isn't just the fan, but the the fact that the heat sink is of the "skived fin" variety. Ok, so this creates more surface area, which is a Good Thing , but I would think it probably causes more turbulence as well, which means more noise.

PS - shassouneh, if your mobo isn't toast, then you ought to check to see if it has the ability to automatically shut down if the fan stops [this should also cover you if you forgot to plug the fan in again :)].

Just a quick reminder (I have togo So I'll read your replieslater):

I have tested the ram and it works great (tested it on a freind's machine). The ONLY thing I have to test now is the hard drive, as well as the mobo (obviously)

I'll read your replies in more detail later. Thanx guys.

Shash, are you listening at all ??

You need to plug a new CPU into the system and boot from a floppy to minimal hardware configuration.

H.

Yes, DH. Gotcha. At the moment my economical situation does not allow for buying a processor at all. I am a broke college student. frown

I was just hoping there was some way to determine if the mobo is working to begin with, because if the mobo got fried in the process,

it would be pointless to buy a processor for it.

Also, the links you gave me above are MUCH appreciated. I plan to look at them soon. They have also been added to my favorites. If the board is determined to be working, I would invest in a new case. The design of my case is messed up.They put the PSU almost directly above the processor / HSF which minimizes air flow coming out of the HS/Fan. IDIOTS! The only thing that's good about that case is that it came with a generous 400W power supply.

Anyways, I won't bore you with useless detail. I'll get right to the point: The Processor must wait till more cash is available. Maybe Uncle Sam should help a poor college kid like me wink

Hello,

I did not read every post here, but I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out a system with some of the same type of problems you are having. On my particular system, I got blue screen lock-ups after several minutes if I did not have the video driver installed in XP Pro. This is a new system, every part brand new. I had switched every single component except the CPU and still got the errors like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT or MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Sometimes I got better results trying a slower clock speed, sometimes I did not. I talked to Microsoft, Soyo (Motherboard Mfg.), the memory manufacturer, pretty much everyone. Every BIOS setting I tried, every driver I downloaded, new ram, different ram, different DIMM slots, different video cards, different drivers, BIOS updates, different power supply, everything on the board disabled, all but the essentials unplugged or turned off in BIOS, all led to the same result, blue screen errors. In my case, the CPU temp was perfect. The Tech support people seemed to all come to the same conclusion: defective memory or motherboard or hardware of some type. I tried 6 different memory DIMMS, of two different brands. I tried two different motherboards (same make and model) and still got the same result. I got my new CPU, popped it in and all problems are solved. I now have a rock solid machine that handles large graphic files with no problems at all. Bad CPUs are rare, and often, heat is a good indicator, but in my case, it just did not work right. It is a P4 3.0g 800fsb, 512k cache. I hope this helps!

First, try this

http://www.memtest86.com/#download1

Get the bootable cdrom image if you have a burner. If not get an old floppy and run it from there.

Try it at 1.4ghz and 1.05ghz. A few errors are ok and if you read the documentation to the program it becomes apparent why that is.

This is a STRICTLY hardware test. No Windows or DOS.

Also, check your voltage to your processor. Sometimes the CMOS tends to "forget" what it was set at. I'm not sure what it should be but I would guess that anything below 1.7 vcore is bad. My Duron 700@1050 is at 1.8 vcore. My 2000+XP stock is at 1.65 vcore. So I am working with an average. Find the sweet spot. The Duron is a good example. At 1.75 vcore, I would get strange stop errors such as yours. I kept feeding it voltage until I hit 1.8 vcore (which was the limit of my board). The errors went away. It has been running happily in that condition for 2 years as my fileserver with about 2 restarts and no crashes. So check your voltage. Also check your RAM voltage. Should be in the 3.3v area. There should be a PC health/hardware monitor in your BIOS somewhere. It will tell you what you need to know.

Tweak/config your bios. Go here for more info.

http://www.rojakpot.com/

I also did dome research on your board. It supports DDR and regular SDRAM, correct. Make sure there isn't a bios setting or whatnot that differentiates between the two. I don't have a lot of experience in that department.

smile

It also has on-board sound. CMedia chipset. It has caused a lot of problems for me in the past where XP drivers are concerned. Make sure your drivers are up to date on everything.

Now onto the Windows side. Ruling out all hardware problems, make sure Windows is updated. An easy way to do this is to get SP1 network install from Microsoft and then go here

http://www.autopatcher.com/DownloadXP.htm

Nice big download but worth it. I'd swear on it if I still ran XP. (BTW, I think MS has a processor update for Athlons, keep your eye out for it. It's included with AutopatcherXP)

Beyond that, i'm not sure what else will help you. Just take your time and go step by step. I'll sleep on it and may come up with more..

Have a good day.

rubicant78