Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Linuxboy00

Video Capture Cards

Hey guys/gals.. Just wondering what type of video capture cards are people using these days. I'm wanting to grab some Star Trek TNG off of the tube and make me some SVCD's so I can watch them while I'm at work and share with my brother.

Any suggestions? I've looked at the ATI All in Wonder 8500DV and the Creative Labs Video Blaster Digital VCR card. What do you all use??

Thanks for the input!!!!

I use a WinTV pci tv card. it captures at a maximum of 352x288, don't know if this suits you. It has worked flawlessly in Win2K, but i wasted a lot of time with XP, until Hauppauge released new drivers.

I have a 64MB Radeon DDR ViVo & the highest res I can record @ is 176x144, if I try any higher than that the sound gets all distorted. This could be due to either my CPU [K6-2/500], or my motherboard [TMC TI5VGA], but I don't know - I'll find out next week when I get my KT7A-RAID v1.3 & Athlon XP1900. [can't wait! feel like a kid @ xmas! smile ]

I got a Voodoo 3 3500 that can do about that. I need something that can do say around 640x480 realtime(ish).

From what I've been hearing the All in wonder Radeon 7500 will capture

at 720x480 or something close I think.

Yes ATI makes the best capture cards, I have the TV Wonder VE $49.99, its max is 352X240 which is VCD. The higher end card captures DV res.

Linuxboy00 for get the Creative Labs Video Blaster Digital VCR sure it dirt cheap card but don't count on making and video with it this thing it more like Tivo box then any thing eles.

No the ATI Radeon All in Wonder can not cap MPEG2 720x480 being it base on soft encoding.

Alien big CPU and fast 7200 harddrive with lot of space if you plan on cap AVI.

I have Hardware MPEG2 capture card know as WinTV-PVR but need say it dosen't like any VIA chipset but with SiS or ALi is your best beat how ever this VIA is junk being I now have Abit board with VIA this thing is gone time go get Intel P4.

Quote:

Alien big CPU and fast 7200 harddrive with lot of space if you plan on cap AVI.
I think my drive's fast enough [iBM 75GXP 30GB], or @ least it will be when I have a UDMA/100 motherboard next week, & I'll be getting the new CPU next week as well.

The funny thing is that before I got my Radeon I was using a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI as my graphics card & was using a Pinnacle Studio PCTV PCI for video capture & used to be able to capture in AVI format using Pinnacle's own [AVI] codec @ 320x240 without any distortion in the sound or dropped frames. And yet with my Radeon it doesn't matter what settings or codecs or bitrates I use, or even whether I use AVI or MPG - if I use any resolution higher than 176x144 the sound is garbled.

So, for the moment I use MPG as it uses less space then AVI.

Quote:

No the ATI Radeon All in Wonder can not cap MPEG2 720x480 being it

Interesting.. It says on the ATI website that the 8500DV will.
Here is a copy of the line straight from the ATI web page...
Capture still images and digital video at up to 720x480 30 frames-per-second resolution with no loss of quality

Well if think it can do it then check out the site list below don't for get Linuxboy00 you be using NTSC not PAL min people will say it works just fine for me but there PAL us NTSC can't do it with soft encoding with both field you need at laese a 4+GHz CPU just to keep with it other then that you only other optoin is a RealTime MPEG2 Hardware encode.

Hey you live just up road from me.

http://www.rageunderground.com/

http://www.vcdhelp.com/

Yes, I do live up the road from you! Cool..

BTY, the link for the shs top link is broken.

I like going out to vcdhelp.com but there are so many types of cards out there I can't decide wich one to chose. I can't belive how hard it is to find a card that will allow me to record an hour of Star Trek TNG off of my cable so I can put in in either Divx or SVCD. I guess I will keep looking. Thanks so much for everyones help on the cards.

Hmmm... If they want to make any sales in the UK they ought to say whether or not it supports NICAM.

Anyone know of any card that could take a signal from a ps2? Always wanted to stick it threw video in. smile

If it can connect to a TV or VCR then of course it can connect to a capture card - I don't know what outputs a PS2 has, but it has to have 1 of or a combination of the following 3 connections:

1. Ordinary UHF like a normal TV antenna lead

2. Composite video [i think the connector is called RCA - like a phono jack]

3. S-VHS - little round thing about the same size as a PS2 [PC, nothing todo with Playstation] mouse or keyboard connector.

Most capture cards have either no.1 or no.2 - dunno about no. 3 tho.

Well just bought a gainward gf4-4400 with TV-IN smile Think that should do the job using the composite out. The ps2 can have composite out but has really bad quality when its in use. I dont think it can use S-Video but it can use scart smile i need a cap card with rgb in really.

I just got a Gainward TI4400/128 with VIVO for my home rig.

my LAN/media rig will have a Leadtek GF3 TI200/128 and that Leadtek TV2000XP.

So, I'll have RCA & SVideo out and in, just like my Gainward, + IR, TV tuner.