Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mafro

Propellerhead Reason in Win 2k

Hey,

Since i installed win2k on my machine, Reason hasnt been playing properly. I get like a half second delay when using my keyboard, and changing the buffer settings in the Reason setup has absolutely no effect on this at all.

The sound card is a Soundblaster Live Platinum, and ive got the 2000 drivers, and using the Creative keyboard program i get perfect response times with the keyboard - so it has to be Reason. (Also tried FruityLoops and thats fine too.)

The machine is an Athlon 1500, with 512MB ram - so no hardware problems should be arrising.

The Reason FAQ on propellerhead.se suggests setting audio hardware acceleration to 'Basic' mode, but this has no effect on my system.

Any ideas??

Im gonna have to go back to 98 if I cant sort this out! Please save me from that alternative!!

Cheers

Mafro

This is a very specialized piece of software and your best bet is tech support at Propellerhead.

But, if you care to listen to amateurs. It sounds like a latency problem. If you have a bunch of tasks running in the background, software will act differently - it will delay. On really fast computers, it doesn't seem noticeable, but it is there nonetheless. Look at your taskbar on the right corner. The more stuff that is in there, more often than not, you will experience some delays.

In Win2k if you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL it will bring up a box. At the bottom of the box is a Task Manager Button. Click on it. It will usually default to a the Processes tab and show you all of the stuff running. A lot of these programs run in the background, some have low priority others high, and you can assign them or even end them (don't until you get familiar with what they are).

Click on the Performance tab and you will see a little graph with CPU usage and memory usage. Playing with different programs with this up on the screen can sometimes indicate peak CPU usage, etc., also indicating delays.

I am purely guessing. There are probably component pieces within your software package that bring a certain task to the front dropping others in the background in 98, while in 2000, both or several processes are competing for priority at the same time. That competition is causing the delay.

Try the tech people at Propellorhead, it is only to their benefit to get the program working for you. Good feedback makes for a good program. Sorry, that this won't fix your problem. You can dual boot Win2k and 98 until it is resolved for you satisfactorly.

I understand windows as well as most, and have totally checked out memory usage, but with 300MB free and Reason only eating 25MB of that, i cant be running out of memory, can I?

The windows page file is set to over 700MB which seems a bit large - dunno if that is related tho. I cant really ask propellerhead for support either coz im evaluating a demo copy still!! The damn softwares just too expensive for a student..

Sampson:

try CTRL-SHFT-ESC to get straight to that task manager..

cheers for the help

Mafro

You can also try MS Config (leftover from 98/ME)

I use it in 2k (the 98/ME version will work but you get a error message, there is a 2k version) to stop programs from loading at startup that I can't stop from within the program itself.

2k is great, don't go back to 98! Audio programs like that are intensive, coupled with SB cards!

Cheers for that suggestion bruce, but my problem cannot be solved. Win2000 just sucks for audio.. Theres not even any digital ripping capability due to the lack of an ASPI layer!!

On another note, try System Mechanic from http://www.iolo.com/ to edit your startup programs. You can get rid of all those annoying background agents and startup programs with ease...

M$ Config does the same thing! I don't get too excited over anything M$ BUT in this case I will. I have used this from the start and it works fine. No other program necessary. Besides it's free and you don't have to install it. Just copy it in the System32 directory and create a shortcut for it.

I can send it to you as 2 files if you wish for 2k. Send me your e-mail address.

I'm not at the audio level you are at. I just burn CD's no editing. I don't understand just what is a "ASPI layer"?

I had the same problem in Win2K. The problem disappeared when i went to Dual processors. I suggest upgrading to WinXP Pro, it seems to handle audio programs a little better. YOu should also look into purchasing a professional audio sound card. Something from Yamaha, or maybe even E-Mu Systems (the E-Mu APS is an excellent card).

I do alot of audio recording. If you want to ask me any questions you can ICQ me at 19901838 or MSN me at fear_machine@hotmail.com

Have you tried running it in Win98 compatibility mode? This works sometimes, so it's worth a try.

Right click on the program, or a shortcut to it, then select properties, then select the Compatibility tab. The rest is obvious.

I wouldn't recommend compatibility mode. The problem lies in the processing power of the audio card. I haven't used reason in a while but i know that in Rebirth you could select DirectX Output or Waveout Output. With my old SBLive card I found that using Waveout skipping was less frequent.

Also, the SBLive Audigy apparantly processes audio better than the old EMU10K1 SbLive Cards.