Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DooDiddley

ICS Modem AND Cable

I have both a dialup account and cable. Is there a way to get my secondary network pc to access the internet via the dialup rather than the cable? On my main system I dial into my ISP but when I go to the other PC it wants to access the internet through the cable. Is it possible to select one or the other?

Why on Earth would you use dialup when you have cable?!?

Anyway, just make sure that ICS is only enabled for the dialup connection, not the cable. ICS can only be enabled for one connection at a time, so just switch it manually.

Thanks for your reply. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

I know it sounds stupid to have a dialup AND cable but I create virtual tours that can have very slow load times because of their file size. I need to test loading via dialup.

Thanks again for your help.

frown I must be doing something wrong because it's not working. The only two network connections I have are the dialup and the LAN. The LAN doesn't offer the option of whether to ICS or not. Is there another alternative or an explanation of what I'm doing wrong?

It depends on how the cable is hooked up as well.... let me know if you still have problems...

Wellllllllll...I THOUGHT I had it. I'm doing this on my main pc. I don't know why I thought I had to test on the other...DUH! So, I guess my question now is, can I share the dialup and cable on the main pc?

Here's what happens...if I use the dialup, the dialup "seems" to take over the connection even though I haven't done anything with the cable access (but I'm not sure). I test it by trying to send email. If I have my dialup activated, I can't send email because my email is routed through both Mediacom and my ISP. When I disconnect the modem, I am able to send email. Also, my ftp uploads are ALOT slower when I'm dialed in, as though it's uploading via the modem. Once I disconnect the modem it appears as though the cable takes over again. Are these "tests" accurate or is this just something I'm imagining.

What do you think...got it or NO got it?

So only the main PC needs access to the dial-up connection? One easy way to see where you are being routed is to activate the option on the LAN for "show icon in notification when connected". Then when you dial up and start browsing, you will be able to see which connection lights up with activity. AFAIK, Windows will always use the dial-up networking connection if it is active, regardless of the presense of a LAN... but again, the lights should tell you what is going on.