Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Page File gone BAD!!! Help!!!

Before error: Fresh install of Windows 2000 with SP2 and all the latest from Windows Update. Installed Office XP, and misc apps like WinZip, Antivirus etc. This was all done under administrator account. Created a new account, power user.

Rebooted the machine, I get this error now and everytime i boot into desktop (not verbatim) "An error has occurred with windows pagefile, a temporary pagefile has been created...."

No matter what I do I get this error everytime I reboot. I have tried to reset the pagefile, set it to zero and rebooted, set it to 382min and 1024 max and rebooted, NOTHING HAS FIXED THIS. I cannot afford to do another clean install and there is no hardware issues at all. All have own IRQs, all hardware all been running fine for at least a year. Someone help me... Also tried regclean and reinstalling service paqs, deleted profiles, removed users, &^$&%#&$#^$ The only program that is running on startup is Norton 6.0 Coporate.

Just a thought, try moving your page file to another drive and see what happens.

Couldn't hurt, Anyway.

How about booting to the recovery mode, erasing the swap file and let windows create a new one?

I think the recovery console won't let you see the pagefile.sys. He may have to put the drive into another NT machine and delete the file while in the other OS.

I am able to delete the pagefile, it's the temppf.sys that exists after i get the error message.

set the pagefile size to a fixed number at least 100mb more than win recommends on the screen.

my minimum req. is 1536mb, set it for c: 300mb and d: 1300mb.

I was able to fix this problem by reinstalling Service Pack 2. Everything was fine after that. Nothing else worked so I said f&ck it. Rather than going str8 to reinstalling the whole OS, just service pack 2. Thanks for all your suggestions.