Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Remote Networking: Nothing under Network Places? HELP!

We are trying to connect two computers in different towns to each other for networking. We have our server running windows 2000 and our workstation running *gulp* Windows ME. When the computer using ME dials into the server and connects, I have no access to the network. We have a small 6 workstation network setup at work, and I just need this computer dialing in to have access as well. Why is there nothing under Network Places? Is there something I am missing? Network places is completely empty. No shared drives are listing. No shared printers are listing, notta.

I have an account setup for the computer dialing in, and I have double checked everything. I can connect to the server with no problem (via Modem) but don't know where to go from here.

This is probably a simple problem, but I can't figure it out. This is my first time doing a remote network connection. =(

First thing to do is check whether you can ping the server from the ME computer once it's dialled in.

AndyF

Like I said, I am pretty new to this whole dialup remote networking. I have TCP/IP installed of course, but do I need to enable or install anything else?

I also don't use the ping command much. Any switches I need to use?

"ping -?" will give you the breakdown of all the switches (this works for most shell commands). For basic use, just type "ping hostname"

I am going to try pinging the host today, and if that doesn't work what do I try? Using a new protocol? If so, which would be the best route?

Clutch, your very good with networks I hear, what would you suggest on this problem?

What is the local name resolution method of your network on the LAN you are dialing in to? Your dial in server should either provide your workstation with all the information (WINS/DNS, Gateway, etc) or the workstation should be preconfigured so all it has to do is dial up.

When pinging, you might want to first ping your dial up host (as suggested) and then ping another server that's "across" the host (elsewhere on the LAN) to determine if your dial-in server is routing properly.

Ok, I assigned a small range of IP addresses for the remote computer and that seemed to help a lot. It then asked me for a password for the resource:

\\servername\IPC$

After giving the network a domain it seemed to work finally and get past the password problem mentioned above. I found the workstations and host under My network places after doing a search for the host name.

Now, what exactly is the diff between a Workgroup and a Domain? This would only work after giving it a domain name. I hate being so numb in this area (networking) but I have learned a lot in the past few weeks.

This is still going to need some tweaking, but it's finally getting somewhere.

Now will I have to map the network drive every time or will it connect on it's own? Things seem pretty different when doing it from a remote dial in. Thanks again guys for your patience with my learning. You all are the best resource out there!

If ME runs as expected, it will try to connect to the drive letter even when you are not dialed up. An alternative might be to place a shortcut on the desktop to the location, and then use it once dialed in... Hope it helps.