Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ri-rilot

Wierd grey screen problem

I have been having this same problem on several different winXP boxes. To replicate I do the following.

Reboot machine.

Bring up the My Computer window

Type a URL in to the adress bar and hit enter

When this is done the entire screen goes grey and an untitled folder bar appears in the task bar. Alt-F4ing this kills the grey screen and everything will function normally until the next re-boot.

If you don't use a standard explorer window to go to a web page and instead just fire up IE directly then all is fine.

This only happens ONCE, the first time you go to a page after a re-boot.

Any ideas?

Yup had that loads of times under XP. Only way i found was to kill the window. 1 of the reasons i went back to 2000. smile

Your problems sounds VERY similar to a problem I had recently. I ended up finding out it was a spyware problem. Go here and download Ad-aware. Install it and let it scan your drives. You'll probably be surprised at all the stuff it finds, ecspecially if you've installed any file sharing programs like Kazaa or Audio Galaxy. Also, look in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs for b3d Projector. If you have installed Kazaa, b3d Projector is surely in there. It's well known spyware that Kazaa has caught lots of sh*t about. Uninstall it...quickly.

One of the items Ad-aware found was a .dll inside my system32 folder, and another called Search Lop, which plants itself in a bitmap on your desktop without you knowing about it. Those two together is what was causing me the similar problem to yours.

I could be way off from your specific problem but it's worth a shot...Good luck smile

Just tried that.

Unfortunately it didn't work. All spyware removed but still the grey screen haunts my reboots.

Thx anyway.

I recall having a fullscreen grey screen come up once or twice on my XP box, and I couldn't figure out how to recreate it. Maybe it's related to active desktop? If you have a jpg as your desktop wallpaper, try changing it to a bmp. Just a thought...

I notice it happens when shutting down... or whenever the computer waits for an extended amount of time.

Not quite sure if this is an answer or what, but I think it's by design... and if so can probably be turned off somewhere.

It always happened to me when just browsing the net, any pop-up window could cause it to happen, even an AD window. Only way to get rid of it was to kill the no-name explorer window from task man. frown

I never had anything like that happen...and I build out XP machines all the time.

Sounds like you guys need to stop hanging out at the resident hack/***** establishments.

heh, loser

would you like a picture of my legit copy of xp?

right....like what are you going to do a screenshot of? Means nothing to me.

What I was referring to is internet applications that load without your knowledge or consent simply by virtue of you visiting a website of less than honorable origin. These kinds of things are famous for running apps in secret that connect to web resources on startup...yes for any hackers purpose, and can wreak havoc on active desktop.

If you can't understand that...you might want to consider turning off active scripting for internet zone on your next installation ( since the current one your on is hosed already ).

Loser....look in any mirrors lately?

It's happened to me only twice in 6 months, and while not connected to the Internet. And I run a VERY clean system here.

Try using some of the computers you build sometime, and you'll understand Windows better.

Well...i could do you shots of the box, the cd cover, the holographic cd...even the cdkey, authough i could blank it out. But your obviously not worth the time.

Ive had this problem with XP since i started using it back when it was RC1, same prob with RC2 and same prob with the final retail version.

Im not gonna start trading insults with you, i just dont like being accused of things like that when i had to go out and actually spend £160 to buy the thing.

Lets not trade insults.

All I did was offer good advice. Don't overlook it.

Quote:

I never had anything like that happen...and I build out XP machines all the time.

Sounds like you guys need to stop hanging out at the resident hack/***** establishments.

Good advice? How does it relates to solve the grey screen problem?