Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
silicongod

Nero's InCD

Folks,

I've recently got myself a nice new TDK CD-RW drive which came with Nero 5.5 and InCD (dunno what version). After installing both on my Win2k SP2 box and restarting I get the following message:

Message>>>>

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 26

Date: 06-April-2002

Time: 22:19:22

User: N/A

Computer: SILICONGOD

Description:

Application popup: InCD: InCD.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00455c3d" referenced memory at "0x003e1aa4". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

<<<<End message

Of cource InCD then dies.

I then downloaded the latest Nero (5.5.8.0) and InCD (3.24) and installed them. Still no go with InCD. Does anyone have any ideas.

My machine is as follows:

Athlon 900 (no oc)

ASUS A7V133 (bios 1008a)

768RAM PC133

Inno3D GF2 MX

2 x Seagate barracuda 3 in hardware RAID-0 (C drive)

TDK CD-RW (32/10/40)

CD-ROM

10/100 Surecom NIC

Windows 2000 SP2 (with all latest hotfixes as at 4/4/2002)

IE6 (with all latest hotfixes as at 4/4/2002)

Via 4in1 4.38

Promise RAID-0 2.0 (build 24)

Official nVidia reference drivers 28.32

Nero 5.5.8.0

InCD 3.24

If anyone can help me out I would be very grateful. If anyone needs any more info then let me know.

Thnx

I put the same TDK drive in my machine about a week ago. I did not have your problem. My wild guess is a memory conflict (possibly with your video drivers). The InCD application only works with CD-RW cd's. It works with Windows Explorer and allows you to transfer files in UDF format to the CDRom like it was another disk drive. You copy a file from the hard disk to the CDrom just like from one disk to another. It is a cute trick. Any other computer that you wish to read that CD from must have a UDF reader program installed. Nero, on the other hand, burns the file in different formats (ISO being one of them) that other computers can readily read.

If your Digital MixMaster is working and Nero is working, InCD is a cute piece of software that installs itself in your taskbar and eats up memory in the background (4776K to be exact) whose functionality you probably won't use that frequently. So, I wouldn't sweat it if it doesn't work.

I'm sure you followed the instructions and made it a Master on your Secondary channel and then went to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the Device Manager and enable DMA for the TDK.

I have a Gainward 2MX400 and I think it is using the 21.81 drivers though I wouldn't swear to it. They came from Gainward. If you want to clear up the conflict, I'd look at the video driver issue first. Installing and uninstalling Nvidia drivers are such a pain, I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to go down that path.

Thanks for the feedback Sampson. It irritates me that this particular thing doesn't work while Nero and Digital Mixmaster do.

Just to confirm, my CD-RW is master on the secondary IDE controller and DMA is on.

I'll try another version of the video drivers, probably 23.12 'cos it's WHQL (maybe the WHQL designation will help...lol). Wild guesses are where I'm at at the moment. If I get no joy I'll try the 21.81 drivers as well.

I'll keep you posted.

There is no telling why these things don't run properly. I had a bad font that kept a particular program from initializing. Killed the font and the program ran perfectly.

If you can tell me which font to delete to fix this one, it's gone.

Well, trying different video drivers didn't help. No surprise there.

Maybe when (if) I get XP then all my problems will be solved :-)

As I said, there is no knowing why some programs run on one machine and not on another. As to fonts they may or may not be at fault. The one that made my life miserable was an Adobe Font cr_______.pfb. It works with every other program even InCD. Your fonts are found in a hidden folder called fonts under c:\winnt\ in Win2k. I wouldn't go deleting them. You might move some of them to another folder temporarily, run the program, then move them back when they are excluded as being the culprit. Be careful cause some fonts are system fonts for you Desktop, etc.

The InCD program as initialized at startup is found in C:\Program files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe it is invoked from a key in the registry - HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run. There is a readme file in the InCD folder which reads: "For more information on InCD including trouble shooting, please read help file on the disc or check our web-site at http://www.nero.com"

Check first to see if the BsUDF.sys file is correct. It should be in your c:winnt\system32\drivers folder. Win2k driver should say BsUDF.sys 320,481 11/9/2001. If this doesn't help, and the program says it is creating a log file, let it make it, click on Run from the Start button then type drwtsn32 . If you have several logs in DrWatson, scroll down and choose the last one, then click view. Find the arrow next to the assembly code that says fault and copy down the procedure. Sometimes (difficult though) it gives a clue.

Went to Nero's website and found this: If you have got inCD installed, then please check if you have got a computer witha VIA chipset. If this is the case: At the moment inCD does not yet support the Via Chipset.

Well that pretty much settles it. Both my PCs have VIA chipsets. It's handy to know. It's also good to know that the problem isn't with my PC. It doesn't mention *that* on the info page @ nero.com (nero.com/en/incdinfo.htm) ;-( I'm guessing that you don't have a VIA chipset?

Thanks, Sampson, for all your help and effort. It is very much appreciated.

It's amazing to me that someone could release software that is chipset manufacturer specific, and VIA isn't exactly an insignificant name in chipsets. Well never mind, I can live without it now that I know what it is.

Thanks again.

You have AMD to thank the most for making Via a significant name in chipsets. AMD cocked up it's first Athlon chipset allowing Via to get in and virtually take the entire single Athlon market for itself. Before then all Via made were cheap chipsets with performance to match.