Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FeeDBaCK

RC2, SMP, TNT, DX7

This may seem strange to some of you, but I am having a slight problem getting my video card to work correctly under RC2. This machine is a Dell Precision Workstation 410MT, dual P2-400, STB Velocity 4400 (TNT) running version 3.53 nvidia drivers. I have installed the DirectX 7 Final update and overwrote the files as asked. I now have no DirectX capabilies (DirectDraw, D3D) and no OpenGL. I cannot even play a video clip (AVI, Mpeg, Mov), as soon as I try, the system locks hard. It works fine for normal operation, but the inability to view movies or play any games is rather disturbing. This is my work machine, so these are not absolutely needed, but I am being left out of the great after hours Tribes games on the LAN. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to reply here.

The install of Windows 2000 is RC2 (2128) and was done fresh from a clean drive, so there is nothing left over from a previous OS to mess with it.

hey buddy best thing I can recommend is to try the new 3.56 drivers which Im sure uv already heard about, our fella Ekstreme made the find and the link is posted in his post as well.

IT would seem taht ur system jsut isnt jiving well together, most probably some lil software incompatibility. If the 3.56 drivers dont work Id recommend downgrading to 3.52.

Whats confusing me is ur opengl issues. thats very odd, possibly ur card is somehow clocked to high and locks when it starts any 3d feature? or maybe you have an ambient program running in the background. Id kill ALL programs runing in teh background and foreground and try it again.

I had a similar problem on my dual celeron system and traced it back to having the distributed.net client running caused instant lockups in any directdraw/d3d program. I disabled d.net and then everything worked perfectly (except for the damn vortex2 card... sigh). So if you have any of those idle process type programs running (GIMP, SETI, d.net, etc.) try disabling them, because as weird as it seems, it did work for me!

Preatorian: Thanks alot, man. I disbled the distributed.net client and everything runs beautifully.

yeah feedback like I said whenever u have a problem disable everything and start adding program by program to see what gives u the problem. It's extremely simple and ususally solves most of your problems.

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but where in w2k is the distributed net client? I've tried looking under services but all i see is distributed link tracking client and dist. transaction coordinator(which isn't started). what am i not understanding here?

thanks.

Distributed.net is a program that you must download in order to run it. It is NOT installed by default with Win2K so if you don't see it listed under the Service Manager and you know that you never download and ran it, then you must have another problem.