Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Old printers and new PCs

I have this old Canon BJC-600 that I got way back in 92, and it won't work with my current PC, an Athlon 750 with Asus motherboard. I set the BIOS to different LPT values like ECP, Standard, EPP, ECP/EPP, etc and everytime I print it just prints out garbage and random symbols like percent signs, dollar signs, and number signs. When I hook up the printer to my Pentium 166 it works fine, on all different parallel port modes including Normal, ECP/EPP, and ECP, and EPP. Anybody else have difficulties with older printers? I intend to get a new one soon, USB style, but just want to know why it won't work.

Quote:
everytime I print it just prints out garbage and random symbols like percent signs, dollar signs, and number signs

Tells me that you do not have the correct drivers installed.

I've updated the drivers a bunch of times. First tried the Windows default drivers, then went to look for drivers on Canon's site and there aren't any and support told me to use the default Window drivers, so I don't think its a driver issue, since I used this printer on my Pentium when I briefly had Windows 2000 on it and it worked fine.

try enabling the parallel port to use it's interrupt via device manager, and maybe try setting enable legacy plug and play mode and see if it'll work then.