Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

Kazaa

Im running the file sharing program Kazaa, that Im sure you are all aware of. Now everytime I have it running even if Im not connected or downloading anything the program uses 99% of my cpu time. This slows down my comptuer so much that I cant do anything else on it. Is anyone else having this problem, or anyone know why this is.

Thanx,

Masterfinn

there's "Lite" version of KaZaA:

http://www.kazaalite.tk

compared to original KaZaA:

- No Adware

- No Spyware

- No banners

- No bitratelimit for mp3 files

- No irritating websites loaded into KaZaA

- No BDE Viewer

- No Bonzi Buddy

When i install kazaa, i remove all the checks except for the kazaa program. It uses about 1 - 4% cpu usage. Once a month or so, i get a bug -- and kazaa uses about 90% cpu usage. I have no idea why this happens? I usually find out because my cpu temperature goes over 50c.

I haven't tried the lite version though. I just close the application and restart it.

Ok i have uninstalled all my old Kazaa stuff, and i got the Kazaa lite version. So far it is working great. according to my task manger it is no longer taking up 99% of my cpu its at like 5% most

Thanx, alot. i hope this stays like this, cause now i can do stuff on my computer while having Kazaa open and it wont slow anythign down

Thanx, again

Masterfinn

Normal Kazza is crap. Even if you uncheck all the boxes during the install it still installs Spyware on your machine without your knowledge. Just run an Ad-Aware (www.lavasoftusa.com) scan once, let it delete the Spyware it detects, and then try and run Kazaa....no go.

If you don't believe me, try it. Also check out this article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

It appears that Kazaa also installs some type of distributed computing client software that will make use of your machine when its not being used. Of course they are going to "ask for your permission" first in some type of smarmy way.

The Kazaa Lite application works pretty well. I run Zone Alarm behind it, and with the normal Kazaa, Zone Alarm would warn me of strange EXEs or some other strange file trying to access the internet. With the Kazaa Lite version, all you have to do is enter the instructed Ad websites with your redundant local address and no ads or anything. I'm waiting for the real Kazaa to catch on and ban its use, but for now it works great.

Yes this will probably happen, as it is a hacked program. So get the "Lite" version before it is banned, at least they won't be able to restrict the use of its P2P newtwok to "Lite" users.

Thanks for pointing out KaZaa Lite, that program is great.

Whats up with the cydoor.dll adaware found when I installed the lite version?

Read the FAQ on the KaZaa Lite website, it explains it.

I did the fix and the first time I try downloading something, NAV picks up a CIH virus form the DAT file within KaZaa

Quote:
I did the fix and the first time I try downloading something, NAV picks up a CIH virus form the DAT file within KaZaa

You mean this CIH virus? For those who don't feel like clicking the link, I'll summarize: the payload for CIH (aka Chernobyl) will trigger on the 26th of April. First, this virus writes garbage to the entire hard disk, destroying all data. Then it tries to flash your bios with garbage. So not only do you lose all your data, you also have to replace your bios/motherboard.

As someone who has had first hand experience with the Chernobyl virus and its payload, I strongly recommend you run Norton's CIH removal tool (available from the link I included). If very many files have been infected (ie more than just the Kazza one), I also recommend formatting/reinstalling windows. From my experience, all exe files that have been infected will run much slower, even after the virus has been cleaned.

If you're using WinXP (or any NT variant), you should be safe from this virus, though considering the amount of havoc it wreaks on 9x boxes, I would tend to err on the side of caution. Good luck!