Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
*Iblis*

Windows Update not working

I've just installed XP so i headed over to Windows Update to get it patched. Unfortunately whenever I try to go to one of the pages with updates on ('Critical Updates' or 'Windows XP') it gives me a 'This page cannot be displayed' error. It also happens when I go to the 'Review and Install Updates'. This has been going on for the past 3-4 days so I'm fairly sure it must be a problem my end. It also fails to detect and driver updates despite the fact that I know there is at least 2 updated drivers for the computer. This may be related in some bizarre way to the ACPI problems i am having with this PC but I'm doubtful

I also had this problem a couple of days ago, but haven't checked the site recently to see if it is still happening.

Maybe there are some server/DNS problems somewhere that's causing it.

Since XP came out, the windows update has been acting funny sometimes. Just try again later.

On my other computer Windows Update Downloads all the updates I want but the never installs them, it just hangs at 100% downloaded 0% installed.

Dude... better late than never....

I'm actually replying to your thread 20598 about ACPI issues... but for whatever reason, every time I try it tells me I'm not logged on... so maybe you'll get this msg...

When installing XP (fresh), installation detects ACPI functionality of the mobo/bios.

I understand that XP/2000 is a lot fussier about ACPI compliance than win98 ever was, so if not FULLY compliant, may get installed as a "Standard PC" HAL instead of ACPI HAL.

To check, under device manager, computer, yours probably says "Standard PC, not "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"....

If so... bugger... you need to reinstall.

When install starts, and the message "Press F6 if you have a third party SCSI or RAID driver" appears, press F5... that's right, F5....not F6...

Choose a different HAL - you're after the ACPI one. Don't be duped by the menu that looks like you've only got two options... keep scrolling down and you'll see the one you're after.

Hope this helps and isn't too late!

Note - refer MS KB article 299340 for full detail.

Cheers,

Ben.