Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
*Iblis*

Can't force XP to install with ACPI HAL

I'm trying to install XP on a system that I've had for a while but it refuses to install with the ACPI HAL. If I leave the installation then it uses the 'Standard PC' HAL according to device manager. Trying to change the driver for this gives no other options but 'Standard PC'. Pressing F5 during the installation to select the HAL gives only 'Standard PC with C-step i486' or 'Other', where 'Other' asks for a floppy disk with the driver on. I know this PC is ACPI compliant becaue it used to run Windows 98 with no problems with the ACPI functions working (ie. turning the machine off automatically when you shutdown)

Specs:

Asus K7M Mobo

Athlon 500@750 Slot A

2 x IBM 75GXP 30GB Drives

50x CD-ROM

ATI Mach64 2MB Graphics Card

Realtek NIC

Conexant Chipset Modem

SB16 (ISA card, i tried removing it in case it was causing problems but no difference)

First of all, did you check your bios configuration and make sure that ACPI is enabled, and that PnP OS is set to No? (the latter setting **shouldn't** matter, but it's how my system is configured).

Beyond that, there are several other possibilities:

1) Automatic power off can be done through APM too. Try going to device manager, "view hidden devices" and you should see one entry that's disabled, called NT/APM Legacy APM (or something similar). Enable that, reboot, and your computer should at least power itself off.

2) Windows 2000/XP follow the ACPI standard much more closely; as such, there are numerous motherboards on which Windows 98 will use ACPI but that 2000/XP will not (because in fact these boards have buggy ACPI implementations). In short, your motherboard could be one of these; check for a bios update to correct this.

I'm using the latest bios which also happens to be a beta version. i'll go back to the latest official release and see if that helps. ACPI is enabled and PnP OS set to no.

No sign of NT/APM Legacy APM when i turn on hidden devices, in fact nothing is disabled. only thing even remotely connected is VIA Tech Power Management Controller which is working fine apparently.

I used to run Windows 2000 on the machine but with different graphics/modem/soundcard. i may also have been using the previous bios so that definately needs testing. i've already tried removing the soundcard and that made no difference. is it possible that the grapics card or modem could be causing the problem? i don't have a spare graphics card around or i'd try as i would place my bets on that being the issue as it's a very old card.

cheer for the suggestions anyway, will try the bios and see if it makes a difference.