Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
harlock

ntfs and defragmentation

ok heres my problem,i have to run defrag at least once a week now or my whole drive is all over the place,heres my questions:

1.isnt ntfs spose to be less defrag prone than fat

2.and could this problem be the drive itself causing this?

any help will be appreciated

thanx,

harlock

"isnt ntfs spose to be less defrag prone than fat"

A little - but it still happens - and quite frequently.

"and could this problem be the drive itself causing this?"

Fragmentation occurs at the file system level - which is at the logical cluster level. This is completely independent from what actually occurs at the physical cluster level - which is the hard drive itself.

The file system could be fragmenting for several reason:

1. Your defragmenter isn't consoli[censored] free space. This means that the file system has no choice but to create new files fragmented.

2. You have a lot of file deletions/creations occuring. As files get deleted, the file system will re-use those logical clusters for new files and they may or may not be able to be created contigously.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

"Your defragmenter isn't consoli[censored] free space"

i think that might be the problem as i use the standard MS defrager.ive tried others but wasnt impressed with them maybe ill try yours out and see what happens.

thanx

harlock

that was one of the advantages..NO defragging necessary!

years later, it seems to need defragging more than win98.

And those log files and user settings files never defrag (well, 'cause i guess they are unmovable system files).

I'm not happy with the default defragger. But beggers can't be too choosy smile

Log files, internet files, etc., get scattered everywhere. In defragmenting your disk, you are dependent on the manner of defragmentation by the defragger you are using. Some defrag by name, some by folders, some by date of creation, some by date of last access, some by space. So, depending on how it is defragged can mean your files, after heavy use, look even more fragmented than before.

Red Star - you can get a free defragger from O&O. You never have to purchase it, nor is it time limited. I don't work for them but I use their defragger. I bought the package because it will allow you to defrag in multiple ways.